1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A sheer tourist trap calculated to get you to buy $100 worth of Christmas ornaments and eat $30 worth of chicken.

The Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island/St. Ignace triangle, 200-some miles north of there, is definitely tourist-trappy also, but also has a lot of legitimately interesting colonial British and early-explorer French historical attractions. And the bridge is awesome.

If you want to jaunt up an hour further north to Paradise on the Lake Superior shore, you can take in the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum and see artifacts from the Edmund Fitzgerald, which went down some 13 miles off shore.

As far as must-visit cities in Michigan -- there really aren't any.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I could go to Reading Terminal Market on a weekly basis and never get tired of it. The rest of Philly ... I can take it or leave it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why would the Subarus have breasts of any size?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Got a good friend that lives out in Grand Junction. Went skiing at Wolf Creek several years back. Very very cool part of the state.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone listing Dallas as a great baseball town would also list Munchkinland as a great basketball land. Sorry, but Josh Hamilton spoke a grain of truth.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I did New Orleans many years ago for a bachelor party, where it was all a blur. Wouldn't mind going back with my wife to do it right food-wise and drunk-wise (i.e., be happy but not throw up in a street corner, not that I ever did that, cough).

Come to think of it, I could say about the same thing for Vegas ...

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Philly's art museum is very under-rated.
    And the Barnes Foundation gallery is awesome. Limited number of visitors per day, so you gotta get tix in advance.
    Rodin museum and Mutter both cool.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Any town with a Barnes & Noble is pretty good.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps a nod back to auto design of the 50's. Maybe it would increase their sales.
    Subliminal suggestion of breasts worked for Cadillac.

[​IMG]

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's the Rocky Balboa statue. Sophisticated art types look down their nose at it
    and as a result don't take the Philly Art museum seriously.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It has been a point of contention, although a silly one.
    I always thought it was strange to put the statue up in the first place, but once it had been there for so long it was equally silly to take it down.

Anyway, the museum itself is excellent. It's not the Met, but it's still great.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The statue's off to the side of the museum, so I don't see why it's a big deal. There are "footprints" and a Rocky plaque at the top of the steps, though.

As for why it's there, I'm sure it increases traffic on the grounds exponentially, though I'd be interested to know how many people go into the actual museum if they came there primarily to see the statue.

Draft saved Draft deleted