1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit awful U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.

Donny in his element, wicked and QYFW like this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I attempted an explanation in mine, though must-visit is certainly a stretch. Lumberton has lots and lots of problems. Crime is terrible, schools are bad, there's poverty and lots of drugs. There's not much for entertainment and I don't find the swamp land particularly scenic.

But with the Lumbee Indians there, it is unique. Seeing it and meeting people offers insight to a part of American history that's obscure to a lot of people and it's a glimpse at the challenges a community can face.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Been to lumberton...not good...still blue velvet was set there so they have that going for them.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I never ran into Isabella Rossellini there.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Paterson and Passaic, New Jersey. To imagine what once was.

Centralia, Pa., where the coal mine burns beneath the town but maybe a half-dozen homes remain of the hundreds that used to line the now-empty streets.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How about the chalk outline in Ferguson?

Too soon?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a was?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Paterson has the waterfalls. Years ago was known as Silk City. Also hometown of Larry Doby, Lou Costello and Ruben Hurricane Carter.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My mom used to live in Morrisville, on the first street across the Trenton Makes bridge. The Route 1 bridge was one duplex and one empty lot from her house. I think the Poor Righteous Teachers are dancing in what would later be her front yard.

Songbird likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I lived in Morrisville for 4 years, on Grand, down the street from Giant. Small world.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Indeed. My mom lived on Delmorr. She moved there after I left the house, and then moved again a couple of years ago.
    I was born and raised in Trenton, so my Morrisville geography is sketchy. I learned how to get to her house after she moved, how to get through Morrisville and avoid the toll bridge, and how to get to the pitch and putt course. Never explored much beyond that.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Jim Jarmusch movie, Paterson, which came out earlier this year, made Paterson look really nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted