1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must See TV, at least for me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just sent the link to my dad, who was 7-years-old when this game was played.

Thanks for the heads up Moddy.

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

History class will have to wait until I return from a road trip, so my DVR is set.

Thanks for the reminder Moddy.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just saw a feature on it on sportscenter. The colorization is fantastic. Elegant. Not over the top. Very nice....

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I do know a copy of the 1962 AFL championship game between the Houston Oilers and Dallas Texans survived. I attended a seminar on it a few years ago and watched the game from start to finish.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For the TV types: How do they pull off colorization?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know much about colorization, but from what I've been reading it's a painstaking process. Apparently a company was hired to research what the colors were based upon the color photos that exist. The article I read said it was as minute as figuing out the right colors for a sweater on a fan in the stands.

To me what's even more impressive is how clean the film looks. How they restore that and remove the yucky stuff, I have no idea.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

CBS had this done for a rebroadcast of its 1960 Masters coverage, at least, for part of it. Took an amazingly long amount of time, measured in months, to color the kine. Too bad they didn't start by sending actual film to LiveFeed, an outfit that can take the film of the broadcast and make it look live again. There are stunning examples on YouTube.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Saw some clips on SportsCenter earlier... fantastic colorization, though I wish ESPN somehow could screen a black-and-white version simultaneously on, say, ESPN Classic. The modern-day players interviewing the '58 players is a neat feature, even if it shows how wildly out of touch some of these guys are with the history of the game.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's on in case someone forgot.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's fun so far - but we're only 10 minutes in.
    The colorization is good.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I like the pairings, especially Strahan and Donavan, but I wish the "game" had more flow. I thought it was going to be like that thing ESPN did a few years ago pitting the greatest NFL teams against each other.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm probably in the minority in that the game really wasn't what I enjoyed seeing most -- the stories of the oldtimers and the reactions of the younger guys made it compelling.

Well done, WWL.

Draft saved Draft deleted