1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must See TV, at least for me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

and I hope many others.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/09/AR2008120901390.html?hpid=news-col-blog

This game was the subject of much discussion in my class because of the TV impact. It happened not long after I was born. I've become somewhat obsessed with the 1958 championship. Fortunately, I have a basketball game in the afternoon so I will be available to watch this. I won't watch the Heisman show but I will watch this right afterward.

2. WFL nerd

WFL nerd Guest

Right there with you, Moddy.
    It happened two years before I was born but I remember my dad telling me about it and I've read everything I can about the game. The teleconference recently with Summerall, Gifford, Moore and Berry was a treat.
    As an old fart, though, I see no need for ESPN to colorize it.
    Black and white didn't take anything away from Raging Bull or Manhattan, and they were movies.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As a history buff, there's a part of me that agrees with you. There's something to be said for originality.

But, oh man, that game happened in color ... and I can't WAIT to see it in color for the first time! It brings the past alive in a way that nothing else can. What a thrill, especially for those of us who weren't alive to live through that game when it happened.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see if it's like some of Ted Turner's cheesy colorization or what.

I read somewhere that NBC "destroyed" the original game broadcast of this game.

Why ???

5. VJ

VJ Member

Really happy that ESPN is trending toward the HBO sports documentary area and moving away from the made-for-TV movies.

6. Thanks for the head's-up, Moddy. I'm setting my TiVO so I can show the game to my sons. It was interesting to read that ESPN might be able to lay to rest the biggest controversy of that game. I won't spoil it if anyone hasn't read Leonard Shapiro's story.

7. On my fifth birthday!
    I don't think I watched.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

There are two very bad things happening here -- colorization and Berman doing the "reverential" open and close.

I was 9 years old at the time and vaguely remember watching this game...and like many of the players wondering what was happening when it was tied after regulation.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember watching this game with my dad. I was the same age as my friend spnited.

Johnny Unitas was my hero.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The WWL is running this alongside the Heisman announcement? Or after?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

More likely never kept it in the first place. Networks didn't videotape sport events then (the VTR was two years old) because there wasn't a thought a game would be rebroadcast. Any kines sent to Alaska and Hawaii stations probably disappeared. AFRTS routinely destroyed returned kines for the silver content in the film to save money. Maybe there's something in the CBC archive (the 1961 NFL title game telecast, produced by NBC, turned up that way).

Draft saved Draft deleted