1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-see film: "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 16, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ken Loach's new movie. Too bad FB didn't live in Toronto. I'd ask him out on a date. :)

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/192561

Loach is one of the great political filmmakers and of course has been labelled a "traitor" by some of the English media for this film. (Sound familiar?)

The story of people galvanized into armed resistance (otherwise known as terrorism) by the occupation of their land by a foreign army, the movie has clear and pertinent parallels to the current historical moment. And while the movie has been predictably accused (especially in the outraged British conservative press) of either propagandizing for the Irish republican cause or metaphorically indicting the American presence in Iraq, both of these criticisms are ultimately much simpler than the movie itself.

Far from a film that glorifies violent resistance, it's a movie that struggles to understand the reasons why people will take up arms in the name of freedom. And what becomes of their souls for doing so.

And the title of the film comes a famous Irish song, performed here by the inimitable Lisa Gerrard,

I'm sure it beats the shit out of most of the Hollywood dreck.

2. My folks across the pond say this one a) is a great film, and b) is guaranteed to start fistfights.
    Our kind of movie.
    I'm wondering if I might have to go to Eaton Centre to see it, though.
    "TWTSTB" is a great song, too.

UPDATE -- Damn, that's hair-raising.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day, FB.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine is distributing this film in Canada. He gave me passes for the sneak preview last week, but I couldn't go. I will see it this week.

5. Saw it last night.
    Tremendous film. Utterly heartbreaking, especially the amateurs in the cast, and I say that as someone who beleives the Free State was the only viable solution in '22.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just saw it today. A remarkably powerful piece of filmmaking.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Up the Republic!

Dead Can Dance have a great version of the song in question, BTW.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Surely going to see this, and soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted