1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must read for MLK Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I found this to be very interesting. I think others will too.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/20110117/SPORTS15/101170313/?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

2. Excellent column. Also explains rather well just why diversity is so important.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Brett Favre is universally more reviled than Chad Ochocinco. It's not even close. Column lost me at that point.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed, the "why do white people like Favre and not (insert current showboating African American WR)" line has become a dated cliche, and one that ignores the fact that circumstances have changed in recent years and that ain't the case any longer.

That also seems like the 18th time I've seen someone use the "contrasting reactions to the O.J. Simpson verdict" theme as a lead-in to discuss race relation issues.

I guess it was an OK column, certainly well written, but there wasn't an original word in it. More like a patching together of bits and pieces of many other columns exploring the same territory over the years.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The last three paragraphs says a lot about this industry and the country.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous column with bad assumptions not based on fact.

Lost me here:

"I bring this up on the King holiday because those of us in the media, especially the sports media, have the power to shape opinions, and we have to remain eternally mindful regarding issues of race.

I don't want my opinion shaped. I just want the facts and can think for myself. I prefer not to be a lemming to sports columnists.

I can see and determine for myself players I like and don't like. On the football field I don't like showboats. I'm Old School. Ochocinco first came on my radar when he was at Oregon St and made a clown of himself in 2001 Fiesta Bowl and has not stopped since. I used to like Favre but now that he has proven to be a fraud I don't like him any more.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure what this means. What do those three paragraphs say about the country?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Kravtiz wrote:
    "So here's what I would ask of myself, and ask of you, the readers and fans, on this King holiday: Acknowledge your baggage, acknowledge your "stuff,'' and take a few moments before passing judgment on people or events in sports. Try to look at things through different eyes, from different angles.

Maybe you'll see a different picture.

Maybe I will, too."

Perhaps if EVERYONE did this, this truly would be a United States of America.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Amazing how much better the Bengals played in the last couple of weeks after Chad's mememememememe act receded into the mists.

Draft saved Draft deleted