1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUST READ: Facial transplant feature in the New Yorker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with you, YF. I'm not squeamish about most things, but scraping down to someone's burnt skull?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't watch those TV shows where they do surgery. Too much for me, and some people like them.

In a different vein, I also can't read stories about child abuse and other kinds of torture. I just know they'll upset me.

I'm sure this article is interesting, but I'm not sure it's for me.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Finally read it; literally took me bits-and-pieces of the entire weekend.

I'm very squeamish, but the detail in the story is clinical, not gruesome, so I suggest fellow blood-blanchers read it with little trepidation.

I can only assume that the writer was in the OR, given the amazing amount of detail about glances and surgeon ticks and the like. And if that's the case, I'd love to hear about how the story came to be, given the last-minute nature of the surgery. I'd also like to know at what point before the surgery did the writer become involved?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they videotape a procedure like this? That's how I assumed he got all that detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted