1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must Have Been Pats Fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 10, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Maybe Shockey's ring was out there. Didn't he blow off the ceremony?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have some friends who work with the Giants and they did not get their rings yet. There is still plenty of rings to be given out from what they told me.

Also found out that some player rings sent back for resize were part of theft.

3. Boom_70

Here ya go asshole - quote on the wire from Pat Hanlon :

"The Super Bowl rings, which were manufactured by the company, were to be given to the Giants staff to commemorate New York’s 17-14 win over the New England Patriots [team stats] in February, team spokesman Pat Hanlon said."

Guess your reporter did not know what the fuck he was talking about. Again devoid of original thought.

4. Boom_70

Hey spitted - check out the NY Post - I assume one of your rivals -

http://www.nypost.com/

You are so busy trying to discredit me you missed the story. Nice work. Your reporter must be really connected with the Giants.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Let's not miss the point here. It couldn't have been Pats fans for three reasons:

1,) They were too busy pretending to be Celtics fans.

2.) The rings were guarded by more than a large combination lock

-and lastly-

3.) If they were trying to emulate their team, they would have stolen the rings and pulled off the improbable heist only to choke in the last few seconds and ruin it all. So that means they would have gotten the rings, gotten out of the building with all the goods, got to their car, drove for three minutes and run out of gas.

and this is coming from a Pats fan. :)

6. Boom_70

A scene from the spitted newsroom Monday evening:

Spitted's ME - hey spit I heard a rumor that Giant Super Bowl rings have been heisted from the manufacturer

Spit: It's BS boss. I already talked to our Giant beat and he said that all associated with the team got their rings 2 weeks ago. Story is a waste of time.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You know, this is still on the front page of Yahoo, so that leads me to believe that it is, at least in part, accurate.

I imagine that the rings stolen were probably ones that weren't made for any particular player or whatnot, just made to be made. (Like backups or extras, I suppose).

8. Boom_70

Story is dead on accurate.I have a friend who works for the Giants and all hell has broken loose at Giant offices with staffers who have not gotten their rings yet.

The Giants now realize they paid twice the price for half the value of typical Super Bowl ring- all to have the Tiffany name. The standard has been a ring with 4 oz's of gold and 3 carats of diamonds. Giant ring has only 2 oz's of gold and 1.5 carats of diamonds.

To matters worse all the news stories have valued stolen rings at $25,000 each so now anyone who gets one will be getting a 1099 for $25,000 - a tax bill many can't afford. Previous plan had been to value them at actual cost - $5500.

Draft saved Draft deleted