1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must be an LA thing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boomer7, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the "reporter" appearing at the 1:52 mark of the Paul Pierce press conference clip?

http://www.nba.com/video/?loc=nav2

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I didn't see a reporter....or a press conference clip.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't think the clip's the one you were looking for, but even without seeing it, I'm assuming you're talking about Vic the Brick. He's a radio guy; dressing up and asking bizarre questions is his schtick. After game-winners, you'll sometimes see him on the court hugging players.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, he's been doing that stuff for 20-some years. He's mostly ignored.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Sorry for the wrong link. Sort of fixed it above, though it's only a link to the NBA video page. But I suspect it's the fellow that Small Town Guy is describing. He was dressed like an eskimo.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Vic Jacobs is New Yorker. He had done TV sports news in Texas, in the South Pacific. I think he came to L.A. from Fresno to one of the independent stations, KTLA/5. His shtick was to report a story then throw a foam brick at the camera, thus his nickname. He quickly flamed out at KTLA then went to KCOP/13, the worst local channel in town. From there it was to radio.
    He grew his hair really long and wears fur hats and a Lakers poncho. One of the other talkers set him up one time, bringing in a special guest from PETA. His response to wearing animal fur: "They were already dead."
    He descended to reading scores but has a "special relationship" with the Lakers. That means when Kobe Bryant farts, Vic is the first to know. Did the same thing with Manny Ramirez.
    One thing, though, the fans love him. My biggest problem with him is that he does what he does with a media credential. If he bought a ticket, that would be another issue.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And here I thought he was just J.T the Brick's separated-at-birth brother. :)

He's apparently graduated to fill-in update guy on Fox Sports Radio's late-night lineup (or at least the KLAC portion, anyway).

What a goofball.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

Yeah, it's Vic the Brick. I used to listen to him on LA radio – this guy makes Ken Harrelson seem fair and balanced. I'll never forget the day the Lakers announced Gary Payton and Karl Malone signed with the Lakers. I thought he was going to either have an orgasm or an aneurysm when he did his sports updates. "One Love, Laker Nation! There is unity in the community! The Glove and the Mailman....JOINING THE KID AND SHAQ DIESEL!"

In fact, Vic even co-hosted the Karl Malone radio show during an NBA labor stoppage. That was so bad it was funny.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Didn't he replace Olbermann at KTLA? He may have been the worst local TV sports guy I've ever seen. And I'll include "boom goes the dynamite" boy in that. At least that kid knew he was humiliating himself.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good catch. Indeed he did replace the KO kid, back when KTLA, with Hal Fishman and Jan Carl, was actually a news station.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Vic The Brick the love child of JT The Brick and Bruce Jacobs? And how does Fox Sports Radio seem to corner the market on pompous LA windbags with Brooklyn accents?

Draft saved Draft deleted