1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim woman in Georgia arrested for not removing her hijab.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 18, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's better to lose your skullcap than your skull! Oy oy gavalt!

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The headgear must go. This is a secular society. No Jesus, Xenu or Allah in the courtroom.

Outside of the legal aspect of things, the hijab is just a passive symbol of the brutality the Islamic faith has bestowed upon women. I see no honor in wearing one.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

what's the law say about wigs, or bad toupees?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ban whatever NoOne dislikes. Works for me.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The law says you can't wear anything that makes it appear as if a marmot is humping your cranium.

Seriously, what about nuns? Do nuns get a pass since we like them?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You realize what you are saying is that anyone who appears to have a religious affiliation by the way they dress should have to live by a separate set of rules when it comes to entering a Federal building than someone who doesn't wear a piece of clothing with a religious significance?

Of course, that is religious discrimination and profiling... never mind the fact that the 9/11 hijackers were dressed in regular clothes, so the "he or she looks like a muslim, so we need to put him or her through a more rigorous screening" argument isn't really going to stop an act of terrorism.

I still go back to the one question. I can understand having to go through security at an airport, but what practical security purpose does a "no headscarf" in a courtroom play? It's a piece of clothing. They don't make me strip to walk into a courthouse and hen make me sit naked because my clothes are a security threat. There is no reason for this other than to discriminate against the woman who wears a headscarf for religious reasons.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, are you actually serious about that?

I am a tremendous supporter of the separation of church and state as you will ever find, but you lost me on this one. If somebody is wearing something that is a part of practicing their faith, we should not be forcing them to remove it. The fact that you don't like that particular faith makes it even more important that they have the right to practice it as they see fit.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow...is that really an argument we want to try here?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think he'll realize that it isn't ... although he may still stand behind it to save face. ;)

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

See, where I sit, if you have a rule against headgear and you allow an exception to it based on her religion, then you're discriminating against everybody else. The guy with the WWJD baseball cap can't get into the courthouse wearing his hat, so why should she be allowed in with the scarf?

Plus (and I admit this isn't really the most rational thought, but it's there to be said) this is the same state where a guy just killed a judge, a court reporter and a deputy, beat another deputy to brain damage and escaped, then killed a federal agent who was off duty. Judges in Georgia aren't likely to pull any punches on security. If security is the reason behind the rule, then exceptions shouldn't be made.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So you would apply this to nuns, too?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Think they can hide a glock under that habit?

Draft saved Draft deleted