1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim woman in Georgia arrested for not removing her hijab.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 18, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Big, bad government has no right to interfere in her choice of headwear.[/oldtony][/asif]

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I wonder how the pro-rights, anti-Muslim crowd feels about this.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You know, in Tony's hood, that's pretty close to bang-on.

The operating word being HOOD.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wow, really? Think you'd say that to his face, too?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can understand having to do certain things for security measures, but there has to be a line between necessity because there is no other way... and common sense. What possible reason can there be for not being allowed to wear a headscarf in a courtroom? It can't be a security measure. It's not unlike any other piece of clothing and they don't make you strip naked to walk into a courtroom. You can more easily hide something in your underwear than you could under a headscarf, anyhow, and you go through a metal detector and pass bomb sniffing animals to get in the building in the first place.

I can't imagine this doesn't get overturned on appeal. I'm glad that organization got involved and got her out of jail relatively quickly. That is a travesty. I hope that organization makes a huge stink over it and that judge and those bailiffs face a shitstorm for being such a dumbasses.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If scarf-wearing Muslim women don't want to be arrested and sent to jail for 10 days, they should stop going to public courthouses.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Let's see ... I don't know of any studies to this effect, but it seems to be commonly held that most human-on-human atrocities have been and are done in the name of religion. So yeah, if there is a security rule prohibiting headwear, which could conceivably be used to conceal weaponry, then the headwear must go. The judge who starts making exceptions is the judge who gets blown up by explosives woven into the scarf ...

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

FH, I'd been waiting a while to tell someone this.

That's a chickenshit argument. Sophomoric.

If I need to be face-to-face with someone to say something I mean, there's no reality in this place at all, is there?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So yamulkes....gone too?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yep. A land mine could be sitting right under it.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

the Pope better take his hat off too.

NO HATS IN COURT!

Draft saved Draft deleted