1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musical Insturments/Languages Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jul 9, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Played baritone and trumpet for about 10 years. Learned more in one summer of drum corps than nine years in the public school's music program.

Took three years of French in high school, but it's far too rusty to use (forgive me, Mme. Cronin!). I can muddle my way through some Japanese, and I can swear in Mandarin Chinese, thanks largely to watching Firefly.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My main instrument is voice (and those of you who don't consider voice an instrument don't sing without a mic in front of a 100-piece orchestra). 8)

I was an instrumentalist growing up. In Grade 12 I was proficient enough for senior band and jazz band on: piccolo, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, tenor saxophone, trumpet, baritone horn, French horn, trombone and percussion. I have also played recorder since the age of 6.

Nowadays I play bad self taught guitar and very low level piano. I wanted piano lessons as a child but my folks couldn't afford a piano for just one out of so many kids. :D

I speak and read very basic French and German (rusty as heck right now) and can understand a fair bit of Italian and Latin. I sing in French, German, Italian, Latin, Czech and Russian.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Music: None. Can't sing either.
    Languages: Have studied French, Spanish, Hebrew. Couldn't follow a conversation in any of the three right now.

I have like no talent.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can speak conversational Scottish too.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is truly one of the weirder threads we've had.

I used to be able to read music and play the piano and the drums. No idea if I could do so anymore. Been a long time.

I could still speak enough German to get my drunken ass around in Germania. Enough Spanish to work in a kitchen. Whatever Latin my dad didn't forget after Catholic school.

All told, though, nothing of functional value.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Music: None and I sing in the key of "off"

Languages: English, piglatin. Took two years of Spanish in high school and remember muy poco of it. I can read Hebrew well, but am not yet versed enough in it to have a conversation.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Fluently. :D

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's my marmalade!

9. Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Estonian and German are my languages, along with English. Am dabbling in Arabic and would like to learn Spanish and French.

In high school and college I played the alto saxophone and percussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted