1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musical acts you love that you figure hardly anyone knows about

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

G Love and Special Sauce.

Not sure how well known they are outside of Philly.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As long as we're on Philly, there's Van Dyke and the Blazers, who did the original Funky Broadway, and from my home town, Wilmington, Del., the Blues Magoos.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm going to add Sister Hazel. Yeah, most people might have heard of them because "All For You" was big in 1997, but they haven't charted a single sing about 1999.

They're still together -- the main four have been the main four since the start -- and releasing albums and touring a bit. The disc they released this past February has all kinds of great songs on it. And two of their guys (Drew Copeland and Ken Block) have released solo albums that I think are fantastic.

Here's one from the newest disc.

blacktitleist likes this.
  4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow. I had completely forgotten about Sister Hazel. That's a damn good song.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I only know this song by him but I love it.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Similar story with Fastball.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Radio Nationals:

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Asleep at the Wheel. Out of my usual "wheelhouse" but I love them. Seen them live a bunch of times, going again in October at the Birchmere in Alexandria

10. old_tony

The album is full of really good stuff, including one with Darius Rucker featured on vocals.

11. old_tony

That's really good stuff. I'm betting you would love Billy Joe Walker Jr., who was going to be another one of my entries.

He is a top studio musician and producer in Nashville. He's got seven discs out but is a real shy guy who has almost no Internet presence other than YouTube videos.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Cosigning on Fastball and Sister Hazel.

Asleep At The Wheel's tribute discs to Bob Wills are things of beauty.

G. Love has a devoted following in Middle Tennessee and Kentucky.

I love Leo Kottke's fretwork. Thing is, when I see something of his I don't have, I check to see if he sings. If the answer is yes, I pass on it. Having written that, "Regards From Chuck Pink" is a DID in my opinion.

A musician I love who nets blank looks is Peter Case.
    He had a lifetime's worth of success with the Plimsouls, wrote some hits for other people, and produced stories with music and lyrics that pull you in.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted