1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music you wish you had...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A little disappointed this morning, after watching my old West Wing DVDs overnight and coming across a performance by Aimee Mann that I had forgotten about.

She covers James Taylor's "Shed a Little Light" (in "College Kids" episode, she's performing at a Rock the Vote event... "Let us turn our thoughts today; To Martin Luther King; And recognize that there are ties between us; All men and women; Living on the Earth").

Not a big JT fan, but LOVED Mann's cover. Go online, iTunes, and find out she's never released it. Did it just for the show.

Damn.

Also served to remind me of a cover of "All Day (And All of the Night)" that was on some skateboard thrasher album when I was in high school that I've never been able to find again, and countless other cuts that I wish I had but could never find.

Wish I had them all on my iPhone right now.

So, SportsJournalists.commers, what missed musical opportunities do you mourn?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Do you mean:

The Narrows?

Of Montreal?

3. Killick

Hmmm. Both are the same link, but whichever one that is... isn't it. For the longest time, I had in mind that the group was The Adolescents.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Eh ... never heard of them ... just did a YouTube search.

I'm bored and procrastinating my studying.

5. Killick

Thanks for the effort, Flash. Whattya studying? (Or, not studying?)

6. Flash

Flash Guest

The Principles of Marketing ... my first course towards my marketing degree.

Blach.

7. Killick

Ewww. Sorry.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've got most of what I want, but there are a couple of great Rolling Stones covers that I've never been able to locate for sale anywhere:

One is Willie Nelson, Ryan Adams, Keith Richards and Hank III doing "Dead Flowers" on some TV show hosted by Vince Vaughn. I've found it one YouTube and heard it on Sirius, but can't locate it anywhere else:

The other is Steve Earle and the Super-suckers doing "Before They Make Me Run." Again, I've heard it on Sirius, but not anywhere else.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Killick, I've also tried without success to find a recording of Mann doing that tune.

Best of luck to you, though.

10. Killick

What honks me off is that you only hear her do a few lines before the show's characters start talking over her, so it's not like I can rip it from the DVD. Rats.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

After preordering Chinese Democracy, BestBuy sent me a link to download the title track. After listening to it, I'm pleased, to say the least. Much, much edgier than their old stuff, of course I guess it should be. They seemed to have aged well, and to be honest, I didn't miss Slash. I certainly hope the rest of the album is as good.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've got everything I've ever wanted -- mostly, either on CDs or from LimeWire except for three songs:

* A couple of obscure Steve Miller Band hits from the 1980s, "Italian X-Rays" and "Shangri-La" from the X-Rays album.

* A song by Jimmie Rodgers called "Two-ten, six-eighteen" about a blind man catching a train (my father was blind). My only remembrance of it was from a Greatest Hits album my mother once had that also included the hits "Someplace Green" and "The Ballad of Jed Clampett".

Draft saved Draft deleted