1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music You Used To Love, and Now ... Eh

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Apr 23, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Let's hear it, members and moderators.
    For Fart:
    -The Police. "Message in a Bottle" concludes with something like 29 repetitions of the phrase "sending out an SOS." Come on, man.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and cover all my fellow former stoners: jam bands. I'm not deleting wholesale, but I've gradually pared down the Phish and String Cheese in my iTunes library. One day there's going to be a big purge.

Even though I make an exception for the Grateful Dead, whom I still really enjoy, I've gotten rid of a bunch of their stuff, too. I didn't need 10 different Dick's Picks taking up space.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wonderwall by Oasis. Loved it at first but then it went too far.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Any Fleetwood Mac.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I used to be very obsessive about a genre or band or even a record.
    I've always been eclectic, but I'm not as prone to obsessing for long periods of time.

They are much shorter phases. In the past year or so I went through a Cream phase, a Buffalo Springfield/CSN phase, a Cake phase, a Neko Case phase, a Smiths phase etc.

When I was younger, it was years at a time when I immersed myself in Pink Floyd, the Doors, the Stones, the Cure, the Dead Kennedys, the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen. I don't own anything past "Tunnel of Love," won't pay megabucks to see him live again after paying $5 to see him last time, and when I read the set lists from his latest tour on another thread, I hadn't heard of half of the songs and had no desire to check them out.

As Rockpile once said, "And so it goes, and so it goes."

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I grew up listening to Christian rock. We don't have enough bandwidth on the website for me to sit here and list all my musical regrets. So much great music I didn't hear for so long...

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

When I was a teen/early 20s, I listened to the Insane Clown Posse. Now, when I say listen, I don't mean I had a few CDs and thought "not bad." No, I was a juggalo, complete with all the expected buffoonery. I only listened to them and bands in "the culture." Now, not only do I not listen to them, I actively go out of my way to not hear them. Even got the tattoos covered up.

I can count on two hands, maybe one, the times I've made an exception to this over the past decade.

So, now, I really can't say I listen to any "bands" just a few random songs I happen to like. The only albums I have in my car (as opposed to mix CDs) are Rob Zombie's greatest hits from 2003 and a Korn greatest hits from 2004, the latter of which I only listen to two songs. Oh, and a Weird Al CD that I only listen to one song.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

The song has more than the one verse, but you wouldn't know that because folks just sing the first verse over and over and over and over.

And the melody is the same as the ABC song and "Baa Baa Black Sheep," so it just drills itself into your skull and expands like some sort of malignant growth.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But its great to mess with toddlers by combing them into one song ...

A-B-C-D-E-F-G, up above the world so high like a diamond in the sky, yes sir yes sir three bags full

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHWsLMaL3Tc

Draft saved Draft deleted