1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Good to hear.

How was the opening act?

2. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

they were decent although the sound was a little distorted. they're kinda like a jam band

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've got both the new PJ and RHCP... while they're both excellent, I actually like the RHCP more. And I'm pretty Pearl Jam obsessed, so that's saying a lot.

4. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

my dream foursome at a concert would be pearl jam, red hot chilli peppers, a soundgarden reunion and the smashing pumpkins.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Excellent... but I'd replace Soundgarden with Alice in Chains (in a dream world, of course)

6. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

well i'd just make it a 10 hour concert with the five bands..

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I feel the same way.

8. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Been working my way through RCHP's new album. The tracks aren't homogenous as I expected. I love it.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts here. What I really liked, though (and didn't expect), was that they unleased Flea on the trumpet again. I loved that about Mother's Milk, when he cut loose on "Subway to Venus" and "Taste the Pain." It wouldn't work on every track, but when you pick your spots like they did on both Mother's Milk and on this one, it's a great change of pace.

p.s. Flea played trumpet on The Mars Volta CD last year, according to the liner notes.

10. I've recently discovered the excellence of Alejandro Escovedo's "Gravity" album.

Also, I've been enjoying Slaid Cleaves. He's got a country/folk sound that wouldn't typically be the music I listen to, but it's good stuff. The first three songs on his "Broke Down" album are tremendous.

11. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Some Nashville bands (not country) that I think are good: Lone Official, Glossary (more or less indie rock) and Old Crow Medicine Show (a cool bluegrass band). The Muscular Christians are also interesting, funny and just plain weird. Their first album is titled 'Dan Marino: Important Message.' One of their songs, Richard's Brown Baby Boy, is hilarious. You can get all that stuff on iTunes.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Slaid Cleaves fan. "Broke Down" is a great album. In addition to those first three songs, you need to include "Bring It On" as another tremedous song off the disc.
    Heck, all his discs are great, but I like the follow-up "Wishbones" and the predecessor "No Angel Knows" even better.
    By my screen name it's pretty obvious I'm a huge Bruce Springsteen fan (80+ shows and counting) and I skipped a Springsteen show at Giants Stadium in '03 to go see Slaid Cleaves at a tiny club - The Turning Point- up in Piermont, NY.

Draft saved Draft deleted