1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just discovered Radio Free Cuba, which despite its name is not 24/7 anti-Fidel screeds. If you like Cuban music, or Caribbean music, check it out.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just picked up the new Pearl Jam CD. Phenomenal stuff. Not as good as Ten or Vs., but I think it's better than Vitology.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

High praise. I can't wait for June 3 at Continental Airlines Arena.

4. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

hold your horses, guys. the new album is great, but better than vitalogy? probably not. i don't hear any "legendary" live PJ songs like last exit, corduroy, satan's bed, not for you, tremor christ, whipping, or immortality (and i deliberately did not include betterman, the most overrated pj song of all time, next to last kiss and wishlist) on the new album. the new album is great, but no dissing vitalogy.

obviously i'm taking this personally. no dissing vitalogy! no one can dis that album after hearing satan's bed live 04-03-94 atlanta

5. You probably already know, but Pearl Jam didn't write Last Kiss.

To me, the new album is BETTER than Ten and Vs. It's definitely more complicated in the guitar layers and what-not, and to me the most listenable PJ album yet from start to finish. Yield and No Code are right up there. Only 2 tracks I keep skipping over are Parachutes (song No. 6) and the Wasted Reprise ditty (song 10). I like Vitalogy just as much, it's a sentimental favorite, but even Vitalogy has some skippable tracks for me: Tremor Christ, Pry, to and the last three tracks, yes, including Immortality.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree. I love how the new album starts out hard, then segues into some softer stuff.

IMO Gone, Come Back and Inside Job are the three best tracks on the album.

If I had to choose based off a few listenings, Come Back is my favorite song so far.

7. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

i hear you. i'm just not about christening this pj album as the revival of pj. you know a little more about the mechanics than i do. to me, they haven't needed reviving, and i'm sure you get my drift.

of course, judgement can't be passed until you hear the new shit live, which is why i have been kind of on and off with the new album. the true shit is when you hear it live, and i can't wait to hear the new shit live.

glad to see why go back in the rotation. are they working on bringing back a non-off the handle drunken satan's bed unlike state college 03? that would be SWEET.

yes i know pj didn't write last kiss. but imo, last kiss and wishlist are pretty much the most definitive piss breaks in pj's catalog. and pj is my #1 band of all time forever, period.

8. Deadstring Brothers--"Starving Winter Report"
    Neko Case--"Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
    The M's--"Future Women"

Three outstanding discs that have been released in the past few months. I can't recommend them enough.

The remastered and expanded edition of Cheap Trick's "Dream Police" is money well spent. The same can't be said for "All Shook Up".

9. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

just got back from albany and wow what a show. they played eight songs from the new album, including come back. they also did "Rats" and "Satan's Bed. Closer was Alive and the versions of Porch and Evenflow were incredible..

10. I swear by the "King Creole" soundtrack which contains:

-"Trouble"
    -"Crawfish"
    -"Hard Headed Woman"

I used to listen to that record over and over when I stayed with my grandparents (it was my dad's copy from when he was a kid). It was the first record I fell in love with.

11. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

that's incredible. wondered for years if/when they were ever going to hash out some oldies they hadn't played well in, oh, a decade. great to see rats back.

12. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

also, any show where off he goes is played is killer.

Draft saved Draft deleted