1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I humbly submit Scott Miller and the Commonwealth, one of my favorite bands since college. Their first two albums were highly acclaimed, but they haven't made it out of the Southeast yet. Here's hoping the third one is the trick, because Scott is awesome and I'd like to see him get some cash.

He's awesome by himself, too. He puts on a hell of an acoustic show. Surely someone else here has seen him and can back me up ...

Jim Dickinson produced this last album, for what it's worth. Billboard, The New York Times, The L.A. Daily News ... his first two albums received several critics choice awards, but he hasn't quite broken through yet. You can all three albums on itunes.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=67825287

http://www.thescottmiller.com/

http://www.thescottmiller.com/press.php

2. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

got the new grandaddy -- "just like the fambly cat" -- it's very good. i fine swan song, tho i think "sumday" is still their shining moment.

if there are any mike patton fans out there, his new project -- "peeping tom" -- is excellent. guest appearances by kool kieth, odd nosdam and nora jones make it that much more fun.

3. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

It's worth plenty. I just took your tip seriously. Thanks.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This week's Idol made me want to buy some Elvis stuff.

Is there an album you folks recommend, or should I just grab the "No. 1's" disc as a starting point?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm liking it. John Frusciante shreds on just about every track. Remember when he left, they wanted to bring in someone with a moster guitar, so they took in Dave Navarro? Well, seems like Frusciante had it in him the whole time.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

The fact that he's even alive is pretty amazing.

And the new album is damn good.

7. It's been out a few months, but there is a new canadian punk band that rocks called Kill Cheerleader. they're heavy on attitude. been banned from playing some places because they're so crazy and raunchy. amazingly good punk, hard rock in the vain of motley crue or GnR on speed. band learned by playing stooges songs, if that says anything. i highly recommend. they're 3x better than The Hives, Fall Out Boy and other posing punk bands out there.

8. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

This week's Idol made me want to buy some Elvis stuff.

Is there an album you folks recommend, or should I just grab the "No. 1's" disc as a starting point?

Start with the No. 1 album, and select more as you get drawn in any certain direction. There was more than one Elvis.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love the five-volume Gold Records series which covers the best of the King from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Some volumes are stronger than others - I heavily recommend one, two and five - but together they give a very good overview of his career while catching most of the high points.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I haven't taken the time to read through this thread yet but I thought I would share a few bands with others that may be interested.

Angels and Airwaves - This is a new outfit born from a member of Blink-182 and a member of Boxcar Racer as well as some others. So, from that info, you can sort of gather the type of music they are playing. I've heard a few songs and they sound very slick. Real quality. (sorry doesn't seem to have a website yet.)

Say Hi To Your Mom - I had brought "them" up previously. This is a solo outfit where one person plays all the instruments in a studio and then has a backup band at live shows. It is a fun group(?). I highly suggest this for "indie" fans.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Just bought the new Imogen Heap CD and am very impressed. For someone who is famous mostly for being feature on "The O.C." it's pretty good stuff.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I covered a game today about an hour away and listened to the Chili Peppers CD going to and from. Love it.

It was my first go-round with Disc 2, but I liked the album even more than I thought I would.

Draft saved Draft deleted