1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've seen him sing "Tempted" live twice -- once when he toured as a member of Madness, and once when he toured as Nick Lowe's keyboard player.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Saw him with Squeeze. As to Lowe, I've been a big fan since I first heard "Pure Pop for Now People" in '78 or so. I loved Rockpile and Dave Edmunds. Great stuff from all of them.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw Carrack with Squeeze too. Would definitely be there if he ever came to Canada on his own.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've seen Squeeze but for the life of me, I can't remember if Carrack was on board for that one.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Finally was able to see Sturgill in Columbus last week. He lived up to expectations. Might make another trek to Buffalo next month to see him as a headliner.

I consider this a list of listen-alikes for Sturgill fans. Knew only a handful of them before the article. Listened to a few more, but still making my way through it. John Moreland might appeal to Sturgill fans. Really like Kasey Chambers; between her, Courtney Barnett, Sia, and Sheppard, Australia is having a banner music year.

30 Great Country Albums of 2015 You Probably Didn't Hear | Rolling Stone

Double Down likes this.
  6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know much about Sturgill, but will comment on Kasey Chambers.
    Loved her first two discs, then didn't care for the next several, listened to samples of the new one on Amazon. The samples are pretty good, but don't move me to click to buy it. Looking through that list, very happy to see Allison Moorer on there. Loved her second disc (Hardest Part) and third disc (Miss Fortune) and then she was hit or miss. In listening to samples from the new one, it sounds like she's back and I'll definitely be picking this one up.

7. EStreetJoe

A guy I've raved about as often as I can is independent singer-songwriter Rod Picott.
    His new album - Fortune - is fantastic. It officially comes out next week, but I pre-ordered through his website and got it in advance. It's also available on I-Tunes for pre-orders.
    It's starting to generate a lot of press where each story has included a different track from the album...
    Hear Rod Picott's Mystical 'Spare Change' | Rolling Stone
    WATCH: Rod Picott, 'I Was Not Worth Your Love' | The Bluegrass Situation
    Rod Picott Gets Down And Dirty With New Single "Elbow Grease" | American Songwriter

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just popped in the new City and Colour CD. Think it will be a while before I take it out. (That's what he said.)

Didn't see this til just now. Kasey Chambers' newest CD was blah. I enjoy Allison Moorer as well.

And while we're at it, good to see Joanna Newsom has a new CD out.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Barricades and Brickwalls" is one of my favorite albums. Chambers' album with her husband, Shane Nicholson, "Rattlin Bones," is also great.

10. EStreetJoe

* Josh Ritter's new one is great.
    * Bummed I missed getting to see Nathaniel Ratliffe and the Night Sweats in NYC or Philly - shows sold out before I could get tickets. Their disc is great.
    * Southside Johnny & the Jukes' new one "Soultime" is their best in many years.
    * Looking forward to the Springsteen box set next month

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Shameless bump for a thread that’s been too long dormant.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I've been listening to a ton of what is often called stoner rock or metal, basically a grungy instrumental sound that I can't get enough of lately.

King Weed (from France):

Monobrow (from Ottowa):

Tuber (from Greece):

Draft saved Draft deleted