1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Brit pop class? That is awesome beyond words, dre.

If you're a Hendrix fan, you probably know that tomorrow is a big day.

The reason? His previously unreleased studio album, Valleys of Neptune, will finally hit stores. The songs, 12 in all, were apparently intended to be part of the follow-up to Electric Ladyland.

Here's the title track:

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

New Gorillaz record also drops today. Broken Bells (Shins' James Mercer and Danger Mouse collaboration) and Josh Rouse, too. Ted Leo, Liars and Frightened Rabbit albums are out as well.

Wow.

Maybe it's just me, but this is an incredible -- hell, maybe unprecedented -- amount of quality rock/indie stuff for one day.

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Enjoying that Broken Bells quite a bit.

Saw Avett Brothers about a week ago in Indy. Nobody rocks the banjo like those dudes! Great energy and plenty of "y'alls" to go around. What else would you expect form people from Concord, N.C.?

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a big Jimi fan and will pick this up but much of what's here has been previously released in one version or another. "Red House" may be my fave Jimi song but nothing here will equal the live version on Hendrix In The West. I don't know if there is anything really rare on here but I'll give it a listen a find out.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ted Leo in Cleveland on Thursday!

I had heard Broken Bells before without realizing who they were. Now I know. Sounds like yoga music.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, and Swell Season touring again in May -- Pittsburgh, Cleveland, NC, Nashville, Miami among the dates.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, and it was in London and taught by someone who had been around the music scene there for quite some time. Our homework, beyond listening to music in general, sometimes consisted of going to see concerts. Can't really beat that.

8. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Checking out that Liars album (and by checking out I mean downloading it).

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Seven songs from that show are on the bonus disc on a Rhino reissue of "Armed Forces" - it originally appeared as a bonus EP with the first 200,000 vinyl copies. I missed out in '79.
    The highlight: a killer power pop version of "Stranger in the House," which he did as a straight country tune in the studio.

As I surf through the Amazon link, I realize I badly want "Graham Parker & the Rumour Live in San Francisco 1979." Great pregame for my 30th high school reunion this fall.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Thanks for posting the daytrotter link. I'm gonna be up all night downloading stuff. Seriously, I've got wood right now.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Extremely short notice, but anyone in the Richmond area interested in the Drive-by Truckers, there's a listening party for their upcoming album tonight at Poe's Pub.

Draft saved Draft deleted