1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I like Frightened Rabbit and the Avett Brothers.

I shall like this.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Major props to Trey for pointing out Mumford & Sons. It's the shit.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Without outing myself, here's a fun clip someone forwarded to me from ESPN.

Apparently, they recently ran a piece on KISS showing up for the homecoming parade in Cadillac, Mich., in 1975. Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4954046

Let's just say I enjoyed this tremendously, as a fan of the band and a former resident of the town. And best wishes to everyone back in Wexford County, Mich.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Outstanding! Very cool story.

Love it when Gene tells us they own the trademark.

5. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I know it's not new but listened to Death Cab For Cutie's Plans today all the way through for the first time and, man, is it good.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'm seeing Surfer Blood two weeks from tonight. The upcoming shows I'm looking forward to are The Big Pink / A Place to Bury Strangers; High on Fire / Black Cobra / Bison BC; and Melvins.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Please let us know how Surfer Blood does live. They're actually coming somewhat close to my area in April, and I'm enjoying their album.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I am going to two concerts this month, Alicia Keys at MSG and then Ingrid Michaelson/Mat Kearney in Jersey. There's a ton of other concerts I'm looking into as well, including Frightened Rabbit in late-April and Murder By Death in early May.

Thanks to Trey for the Mumford and Sons recommendation. I really like them. Too bad I discovered them just two days after they came through town on tour.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm going to see Avett Brothers tomorrow night. Yay me!

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just missed them as well a few weeks back. I just got an email, though, saying that I can see Mumford and Sons in mid-May when they come back. Also, Massive Attack is going to be around then as well. My friend really wants to see them. I've never listened to their stuff, but have heard good things. Any suggestions for getting started on them?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You've probably heard their stuff and not known it. They've been around for about 20 years. Kind of mellow electronica "chill out" music.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, that's what I figured. I remember learning about them during my Brit pop class in London, but was just wondering what a good starter album/song for them would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted