1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I was hoping for a strictly free site, but don't mind paying a small fee. Are there any bona-fide free LEGAL sites out there?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

eMusic is the gold standard for indie stuff. They just raised their rates when they added the Sony/Epic back catalog, but I'm paying $15 a month for 37 downloads, which equates to $5 an album. It's a really good service.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm not sure about the exact number, but if you're new to eMusic you get something like 25 or 50 FREE downloads.

I get 75 songs -- about 6-7 albums, give or take -- for $30. It was 100 downloads for $25 before the price increase.

The selection is great, too. I use bit torrent and iTunes as well and a good amount of the stuff I find through eMusic isn't available on those two sites.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Been listening to a lot of Frightened Rabbit lately. Great band.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jack White does it again -- a new band comes out of nowhere with no PR and delivers a song and video that would make Quentin Tarantino jealous:

http://www.thedeadweather.com/media.html

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Wolfmother is great, great music IMO. I've been a fan of The Sounds for quite some time now and I never get sick of them. I've been listening to a lot of Metric lately.

7. OK. I need help. I have seen the new Gatorade commercials and would like to find songs like that. Anthem-style with little or no lyrics. I thought there was a genre for stomp music but I can't seem to find any at the local BestBuy or online at Amazon. Any suggestions?

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page get together to talk guitar. I'm not a player at all but this looks way beyond fascinating.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones, and Josh Homme have a new band called Them Crooked Vultures. They're playing their first gig at Metro in Chicago on Sunday. Tickets go on sale tomorrow via Metro's website.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Speaking of Josh Homme, his wife Brody Dalle is out with a new band called Spinnerette that just put out a very good debut album.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

god damn if a wave of nostalgia didn't crush me today when i heard the smith's 'there is a light that never goes out' today. then REM's 'driver 8.'

and to stay with the times a bit, i'm enjoying some of the stuff from jason isbell's solo work (along with the 400 unit) and the same with patterson hood.

and if anyone likes that alt-country/folk sound, check out otis gibbs. if you like the pedal steel guitar, you might like a little otis gibbs. and i echo the prior slaid cleaves praise.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Love Isbell. Hope he mines a little more of his rocking side on the next album, though. The 400 Unit is great in concert.

Listened to Patterson Hood's Murdering Oscar a while back, but it didn't grab me. To me, Hood is a rock 'n' roll slugger. He hits some monster home runs, but he also strikes out a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted