1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Changing Cars is on mine.

2. Great song, App. I was speaking of the album as a whole. Fantastic 1 through 12.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm the exact opposite. After I heard Crooked Fingers, a friend's friend told me about Archers of Loaf. They were good, though, and I totally agree on the progression.

4. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I'm a little late to the party, but I've got to echo the love for Death Cab's Plans. I picked it up over the weekend and can't believe how good it is.
    Are their earlier albums that much better as I've read/heard.?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've heard about half of Death Cab's Transatlanticism, and it's fantastic. I need to download the whole thing.

6. abelives

abelives Guest

Available on iTunes only right now:

Todd Snider, "The Devil You Know"

The best under-40 songwriter working in America right now.

I think this is the year's best album so far. Definitely worth the $9.99.

If you want to sample, go with "If Tomorrow Never Comes," "You Got Away With It" or the title track, "The Devil You Know."

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

yeah, well the best under-30 songwriter in the south workng in a mid-major is jason isbell.

8. abelives

abelives Guest

I was just trying to separate him from the Dylans, Youngs and Steve Earles.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Anybody know when Pharrell's new album is coming out?

10. fr81

fr81 New Member

I've not read much of this thread and I'm sure much of what I list will have been mentioned already, but these albums basically compose the soundtrack to the first three years of my journalism career...

- Radiohead - OK Computer
    - Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
    - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    - Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
    - The Arcade Fire - Funeral
    - Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
    - Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
    - My Morning Jacket - Z

and of course, most recently, Stadium Arcadium by the Chili Peppers. Outstanding stuff.

I've been lucky enough to catch Wilco twice this year (once in Nashville at the Ryman, once in Bloomington) and it was awesome both times. Bloomington was such an awesome campus and had a great atmosphere -- I'm a die-hard big blue guy from Kentucky and after the second trip, I wanted to re-enroll in college......at Indiana. ;D

11. carrie

carrie Active Member

As far as Death Cab goes, I'd throw out "The Photo Album" and "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" instead of "Plans".

Just my opinion. Though, hearing "What Sarah Said" live made me like that album.

12. abelives

abelives Guest

Check out "Night Moves." Bloomington is now a one titty-bar town, so all the talent is concentrated there.

EDIT: Moved hyphen on "one titty-bar town."

Draft saved Draft deleted