1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm pretty sure it was a song from the 19th century, but I'll go back and listen to the boot and find out. I really struggled at the Fair Grounds catching the between-song talk, but I'll double-check.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

No harm done. I just wish I'd been there so I could answer your question. I heard that was a tremendous show at the Fest

3. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

any 3 hour pj show is money. death cab live is great as well. i suggest visiting www.npr.org/programs/asc to hear them live. photobooth, other than we looked like giants and tiny vessels->transatlanticism is the best dc song of all time.

and rack the new boss. fuck all the idiot haters.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My random plug of the week is Crooked Fingers.

http://www.myspace.com/crookedfingers

http://www.crookedfingers.com/flash/index.htm

They've been awesome for years. I saw them in a bar when I was in college and was blown away. "New Drink for the Old Drunk" is one of my favorite songs. If some of you could buy a CD so they can keep making music, I would be grateful.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

One singer, one band I haven't seen mentioned here yet and that I forgot to mention earlier..

Dan Bern - great singer-songwriter with a sense of humor although he has been prone to go off on streams of consciousness in his early works.

The Blasters - the Dave Alvin led band that blends punk and rockabilly.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on there. One of my fave all-time bands. Trouble Bound is one of the best live albums in years.

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i was a big archers of loaf fan back in the day. one of the most underrated groups of the 90's. crooked fingers is a nice progression for bachmann.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Saw them on Conan. It rocked.

9. The Virgin Megastore in Dallas is closing.  Everything is 50% off.  Was there a couple of days ago and a random CD caught my eye:  McLusky--"McLuskyism'.  I sampled it on one of the listening stations and picked it up.  It's not the most original stuff in the world.  Think Frank Black singing for Nirvana.  The three disc set is a career overview (the band went splitsville a couple of years ago).  Disc 1 is singles.  Disc 2 is B-sides.  Disc 3 is assorted demos and live stuff.  Totally derivative (some of the stuff was produced by Steve Albini) but a total blast to listen to.  And how often can you snag a decent three disc set for eight bucks?  I'm sorry I didn't discover them while they were still around.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

big mclusky fan here. noisy, obnoxious, fun and maybe the best song titles around. "without MSG i am nothin", "the world loves us and is our bitch" and "rock vs. single parents" are some of my faves. "she will only bring you happiness" is their all-time best "pop" song.

stuff i'm liking right now:
    graham coxon -- love travels at illegal speeds: blur guitarist once again showcases loud guitars, and simple, poppy fun songs. nothing super original but a good catchy record.

walkmen -- A Hundred Miles Off: not as aggressive as some of their previous work, but a little more mature. quality indie rock from a band whose song was in a nissan commercial a while back.

arizona amp and alternator --S/T: howe gelb of giant sand fame returns with more dusty, crusty desert sounds. kind of the tom waits of the folky desert.

gomez -- how we operate: i had drifted away from these guys for a while, but this new one is bringing me back. simple, familiar classic rock-style songs.

raconteurs -- broken boy soldiers: quality. one of the band members -- brendan benson -- puts out great records on his own, too. his single from a few years back -- "tiny spark" -- is power pop of the highest quality.

crystal skulls -- outgoing behavior: literate, familiar and yet challening pop songs. great guitar lines, some odd hooks and the lead singer has a kinda cool, croonish quality to his voice.

twilight singers -- powder burns: greg dulli's most overtly afghan whigs-ish record. great songs here, but i am not too crazy about the productions values. a little dry, and often muddy in spots. still, well worth a listen.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

very much with you on the production

and, well, even feel more that way after seing this tour -- saw 'em twice and have another show on tap

the new songs just rip live. but, well, it's dulli, pretty much everything he does is great live.

don't miss twilight when they come to your town.

and, well, mark lanegan is joining the tour for its last two weeks.

anyone in nola, make sure you go see them. that's gonna be lanegan's first stop and ani difranco will join them as well for that show. holy shit if ani does my curse...

although, not too much whigs stuff so far this tour. although, i did get to see the show with curley joining them for three whigs songs. damn, it was awesome.

can't wait to see them again.

12. Snow Patrol's "Eyes Open" is getting major play on my iPod right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted