1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The best line in The Breakfast Club is when Carl said that as a kid he wanted to be John Lennon only to have the principal shit on him. The line underpins the entire movie, the idealism of youth vs. the harsh reality of adult life.

Tighthead likes this.
  3. Azyr

Azyr New Member

From the new Haiduk album Diabolica

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't know this song, but we did the grade school version of "aerobics" to "Stomp" back in 1980-fizzo.
    (Edited to remove unintended political content.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Twirling Time-

I am so old my first journo girlfriend worked at a fotomat, but I am also so old that I remember American funk and R&B being actively used for aerobics and such.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Following his father's murder on 8 December 1980, Julian Lennon voiced anger and resentment towards him, saying, "I've never really wanted to know the truth about how dad was with me. There was some very negative stuff talked about me ... like when he said I'd come out of a whiskey bottle on a Saturday night. Stuff like that.[15] You think, where's the love in that? Paul and I used to hang about quite a bit ... more than dad and I did. We had a great friendship going and there seems to be far more pictures of me and Paul playing together at that age than there are pictures of me and my dad".

Julian chafed at hearing his father's peace and love stance perpetually celebrated. He told the Daily Telegraph, "I have to say that, from my point of view, I felt he was a hypocrite", he said, "Dad could talk about peace and love out loud to the world but he could never show it to the people who supposedly meant the most to him: his wife and son. How can you talk about peace and love and have a family in bits and pieces—no communication, adultery, divorce? You can't do it, not if you're being true and honest with yourself".[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Lennon

I remember when this video came out and how MTV really tried to pump it, and Julian. It got a lot of play and then he was never really heard from again.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not that any of this is untrue, but there has been a concerted campaign by the right wing MAGGAT media screech machine to posthumously trash and slander John Lennon as a drunk, drug addict, wife/child abuser, usually by hysterically overblowing Julian Lennon's complaints (usually issued when he was trying to sue the estate for more money).
    John Lennon of course freely admitted he had been a less than ideal father and husband, said he occasionally shoved and slapped his first wife Cynthia (utter commonplace in the Sixties), and expressed his intention to have a better relationship with Julian in the future. Unfortunately he thought he had 30-40 more years to do it.
    This fits in with the screech machine campaigns to slander Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Tom Hanks, George Clooney and pretty much all other liberal leaning celebrities.

Julian Lennon has intermittently put out records for 30 years now. I believe he has a new album coming out soon.

meanwhile his brother ...

10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

If you have to cover someone else's work, well. ... Speaking as a longtime Fripp/Eno fan.

On the prog-rock front, I find this track hard to top.

11. Songbird

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. Songbird

The Doors without Morrison ...

And the Butts Band with Dunsmore and Krieger ...

Draft saved Draft deleted