1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music source - CD, iTunes, BitTorrent, etc.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Melodious Thunk, Jun 19, 2007.

?

What is your favorite way to get music?

1. CDs

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. iTunes

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. BitTorrent - why buy the cow?

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Needle in the groove

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Other P2P options - Thunk is clearly a dinosaur

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

BitTorrent is where the movies are generally found.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The music industry blames downloading for killing the labels. I think it's much closer to suicide than murder.

Somewhere I still have an old vinyl album with a dust sleeve inside with an image of a cassette forming the upper half of a human skull and the message "Home taping is killing the music industry!"

Then they tried to bully independent record stores by not shipping new CDs to them if they also sold used CDs, because used CDs were killing the music industry.

Now it's downloading.

Sorry -- refusal to develop new artists and support quality acts is killing the labels. That, and the fact that technology is quickly making them completely irrelevant. Musicians will be fine, but in a few years the labels will cease to exist as we know them.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ding ding ding.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the hysterics from the RIAA when Walkmans were everywhere and blank tape sales soared so forgive me if I've seen this act before.

Like many others, I replaced a massive vinyl - and cassette - collection with CDs and supported artists both large and small for years by going to hundreds of shows in clubs, arenas, sheds, stadiums etc.

And I still don't understand how I can buy 50 blank CDs for $30 or whatever but CDs are still ridiculously expensive in stores.

Musicans adapted and thrived through the tape era and I have no doubt many will continue to do the same through the digital era.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would put storage space requirements as a con also.

6. Simon_Cowbell

absolutely.

7. Simon_Cowbell

One of the most depressing little things in life of the past 20 years is the absence of the great LP cover art.

And, no, to me a CD doesn't get that done for me.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I still buy CDs and get some stff off Itunes. BUt I've found plenty of stuff on various wwebsites and musci blogs. Mostly bootlegs, live stuff and songs.

Legal or not, it's agreat way to grab a bunch of good stuff.

9. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Simon_Cowbell

Exhibit FUCKING A.

Well done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The cover was another thing that added to the cost of a vinyl album. That's a non-starter on CDs. But they cost more for some reason.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Sticky Fingers WITH the zipper.

Draft saved Draft deleted