1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music source - CD, iTunes, BitTorrent, etc.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Melodious Thunk, Jun 19, 2007.

?

What is your favorite way to get music?

1. CDs

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. iTunes

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. BitTorrent - why buy the cow?

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Needle in the groove

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Other P2P options - Thunk is clearly a dinosaur

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The one that works best for me these days is WinMX Music. You will find most anything you want.

As far as avoiding bad files, you keep an eye open to download something in which the number of bytes are repeated several times in the search result.

In other words, if you want to download Song A, your search results may yield the song once at 3,757 KB, once at 4,291 KB and four times at 3,984 KB. Download one of the offerings at 3,984 KB, and chances are it's not a corrupted file.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm big on buying used CDs, adding them to my ITunes and then selling them back.

I buy a few songs from ITunes here and there, but if there's a whole classic "album" I want, it's still cheaper to go the CD route.

3. duckncover

duckncover Member

Replay Music. It records whatever comes through your soundcard, figures out the song, tags it and deposits the song into a folder of your choosing. Very easy and completely legal.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I've had good luck all along with Limewire. I'm still looking for a good movie site, though. Any help?

5. Yes.

The fucking movie theater.

I cannot believe you guys.

I'm not trying to be judgmental or moralize, but this stuff is not yours to steal. It's no better than stuffing something in your pocket at Best Buy. The recording industry is in bad shape because of this stuff. There is less incentive, financially, for artists to go into that business. Therefore, if people keep stealing, there will be less talented people going into music, movies and, yes, journalism over the next few years. Hence, less good art available.

It's already had a corrosive effect on the product, I believe.

And I used to be on the other side of this, but I'm definitely a convert now. It's not cute. It's not "beating the system." It's flat-out thievery, nothing more, nothing less.

And that doesn't make the RIAA angels, either. They overpriced albums and CDs for decades and had a hand in this.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

mininova.org

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had an awful experience with Limewire. Nothing but spyware and viruses.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From what I've heard, they can nail you for using limewire, but they haven't found a way (YET) to police Bit Torrent...

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So was Ken Lay when he died.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone had a story a few issues back on Pirate Bay, which is a big Bit Torrent site, that said the same thing.

11. duckncover

duckncover Member

I'm glad you qualified this at the end. I own more than 300 CDs, many replacements for the 200+ albums I own. Not to mention the casettes rotting in the garage. I've been to probably a hundred+ concerts.

But the labels can kiss my ass. The price of producing CDs has gone down, but the price of the discs themselves is going up. Radio is in the crapper. Good artists get stiffed. And concert tickets are through the frickin roof. I can't afford to like music anymore.

They have alienated some of their most loyal customers. So I'll buy (if I buy) from the artist. Otherwise, I'll sample with Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody (all free, BTW). But I won't buy any of their discs.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well ...

uh ...

yes, you are, babe. :)

And the worst thing is, you didn't change anyone's mind (please, if I'm wrong about this, someone pipe up). You just spit into the teeth of a stiff wind.

Draft saved Draft deleted