1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music source - CD, iTunes, BitTorrent, etc.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Melodious Thunk, Jun 19, 2007.

?

What is your favorite way to get music?

1. CDs

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. iTunes

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. BitTorrent - why buy the cow?

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Needle in the groove

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Other P2P options - Thunk is clearly a dinosaur

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The No. 1 rule about BitTorrent ... is we don't talk about BitTorrent. ;)

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have to say, I like buying CD's and LP's. I like being able to read the liner notes, acknowledgements, and a lot of the time, the artwork.

I don't own an MP3 player or ipod.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a CD in several years. I get almost all my music from iTunes. The rest is live stuff I buy off pearljam.com or other band sites.

LiveBonnaroo.com also has a bunch of good stuff. I don't know when it's putting up the shows from this year.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here.

If I only want a song or two, I'll go the Itunes route. If I really like the artist or really know the artist, I'll go buy the CD.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

OK, the "BitTorrent is stealing!" stuff is a little off. BitTorrent is software designed to share large files over the internet. The software is perfectly legal. Sharing copyrighted material is the problem; BitTorrent is not.

I mostly use iTunes at this point, or buy CDs used or directly from the band. I can't tell you the last time I went into a store and bought a CD (partly because my tastes tend to be esoteric enough that I won't find what I want in Best Buy anyway). I'll use mininova.org for stuff I'm curious to hear, but not enough to shell out $10 first. If I like it, I'll pay for it off iTunes. Now that radio is dead as a doornail it's the best way to hear a band.

Another reason I tend not to buy actual CDs at this point is that I have thousands and nowhere to put them. My CD collection is mostly in cardboard boxes in a spare bedroom, and everything I listen to is on my computer.

One other recommendation someone mentioned on the music thread: justthedisc.com, where they sell used CDs without the case or insert for $2.99 apiece. I just bought 5 and they waived the shipping. I had them in about 3 or 4 business days. Weird selection, but plenty of good stuff available.

By the way, for those of you who buy used CDs... the record labels think you're stealing too. They've tried to eliminate used CD sales but failed, and now the internet has made that impossible anyway.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still waiting for intended guilt pangs to attack.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still waiting. :p

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mostly CDs, but I'll never pay more than $12.99 for one.

I get some stuff off iTunes. And I have downloaded some stuff from Limewire, but now I'm finding everyone has started putting voice overs (DJ CRUNK!!!!) yelled over parts so the song's ruined. So less of that for me now.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

BitTorrent, but I use private trackers for music.

And BitTorrent software is legal.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was a Napster fiend then turned to eMule. Nowadays, with the selection available from iTunes I just do that. However, I think you can't make MP3 discs with those purchased from iTunes.

11. PCLoadLetter

You could burn them to CD, rip them to mp3, then burn to an mp3 disc. Kind of a pain in the ass, though.

12. PCLoadLetter

Why not just burn them using iTunes? It's a really simple process.

Draft saved Draft deleted