1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music of the moment (automotive division)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Jul 1, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Easy there, OTR. It's only a message board, with goofy faces.

HC, i enjoy all kinds of music. I'll look those up on CDNow. The primary point of this thread was to get some ideas for new music to check out. I normally spend a couple of hundred dollars on CDs each time I go on vacation.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well, if you like opera at all, "La Nozze di Figaro" (The Marriage of Figaro) by Mozart is the reason I can't not believe in God. One of the few perfect things created by a human being. I like the old recording I mentioned but there are lots of more recent ones that are great. Bryn Terfel as Figaro is a can't miss.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, HC, that's a little different. But it works for a properly trained singer.

As for me, Holst's "The Planets" works. So does John Williams and Beethoven and some J.S. Bach. But yeah ... not a Figaro fanatic.

Back to suggestions, gang. It was a music suggestions thread, not a satellite radio vs. CD/cassettes/8-track battleground ...

4. pallister

pallister Guest

A name I remember from a college music class was Berlioz. Really liked the clips played in class. Anymore info on him.

And Sam, never heard of Steve Hackett. I'm guessing British by the spelling of "Unauthorised"

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Berlioz's best know orchestral work is probably "Symphonie Fantastique".  If you like vocal music you can't go wrong with a good recording of "Les Nuits d'Etes" or "La Damnation de Faust". 

Again, if you like classical vocal music, check out Richard Strauss' "Four Last Songs".  Recordings by Leontyne Price of Kiri Te Kanawa are outstanding.  Recently, Rene Fleming sang them beautifully but I didn't like the conducting.  You'd recognize the instrumental opening to song number 3 since David Lynch used it as a recurring theme in "Wild at Heart".

6. Sam Mills 51

Correct. He was a Genesis guitarist from 1971-77. Arrived for the group's third album, along with a percussionist named Phil Collins. He left two albums after Peter Gabriel (arguably two of Genesis' best works).

Superb guitarist ... values substance, is anything but typical guitar flash, excess, stupidity, etc. Acoustic, electric ... neat thing is he rarely sings for the tracks that have vocals, and less than half of them do. Really, really good and after all these years, I'm finally getting to his catalog.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Is Phil Collins the guy that was on South Park? ;D

8. Sam Mills 51

Heh heh ... if you can get past his marriage problems and some pillowy-soft stuff he's done on his last 3-4 solo albums (not including the film "Tarzan") he was - and probably still is - an outstanding and versatile percussionist. Rush's Neil Peart might be a better pure rock drummer (perhaps John Bonham and Keith Moon as well), but he doesn't have Collins' versatility.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Phil Collins is a tremendous drummer. Some of the stuff I've heard on Genesis's Three Sides Live album (to name just one) is amazing.

To Pallister: if you've got some Old 97's already, go get their new double-live CD Alive And Wired. Highly recommended (even if it doesn't have "The House That Used To Be").

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

BYH, never woulda guessed you were 32. I'da guessed ... never mind.

CDs in my ride: I'm all over the map. Kenny Chesney and Trace Atkins. Johannes Linstead. Guns N Roses, Eagles, Soundtrack to Duets. And when I'm not in the mood for any of that, I can usually find what I want on the radio.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I really don't see the point of satelite radio. I'm just as happy with my iTrip. I add less than 10 bucks a month in new songs, so I'm happy.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

my sat radio has gotten a bit of dust since i got a direct connection for my ipod

holy crap, love my ipod in my car. (actually, i don't use my ipod much, i use my nano in the car -- biggie is for walkin' round, smalls is for the car)

listen to some podcasts, it's great. npr's most e-mailed stories is always a good one, as is story of the day

Draft saved Draft deleted