1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Slydell, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

So, my wife is preganant with our first child, and she wants me to make a CD for her and her friend whois also pregnant. She wants very low-key acoutic-based music to play in the baby's room. I have a large (850 CD) collection, I'm going through mine, but even most of the acoustic music I have has some kick to it.

I found about seven or eight so far and wioll keep looking, but any sggestions for good qiet music for a mom to hear while feeding, rocking the baby?

And not sings like Needle and Damage Done. Non heroin-related would be nice. And no, I haven't tried Slayer, or King Diamond for all those who are abot to suggest it (Just like I would to be a smart arse).

Thanks

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Lyrics required or optional?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jim Brickman CDs put my child to sleep no problem. He still loves listening to them many years later.

Secret Garden ones worked well too.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Here's one with no lyrics, but one of the most elegant two minutes of acoustic guitar ever recorded:

"Bron-Y-Aur", Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti CD.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Sound of Wind Driven Rain by William Ackerman is the first that comes to mind. There will be others.

It has some kick near the end, but only in the same sense rolling thunder does, and in the environmental space this song creates, it would be no more jarring for a sleeping or soon-to-be asleep baby than a thunderstorm that invites one to deeper slumber.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do you want acoustic music or do you want music that leans more toward classical?

For classical leanings there's:
    - Hometown: The String Quartet Tribute to Bruce Springsteen
    - Greetings from John Bayless (the music of Springsteen as a piano concerto)

For acoustic music:
    Kenny Loggins' two Pooh Corner albums
    Neil Young's song (and possibly album) "Harvest Moon"

7. Johnny Dangerously

On a Starry Night

A collection of lullabies from around the world.

8. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Andres Segovia. Anything.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was an SID, I listened to Segovia a lot on bus trips. I would be reading and trying to block out the sound of the (usually) bad movie being played, stuff along the lines of "Like Mike" and "The Fast and the Furious" sequels. Even some of our players talked about how bad those were. But Segovia's great; love his stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted