1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music, Canada, question.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bruce Leroy, May 7, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I think Union was Bachman's band after BTO.

Are you looking for the band either he or Cummings were in after the Guess Who?

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Bachman and Turner formed a band with Chad Allen that cut two albums, both marginal in Canada that had no airplay in the US.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, ya got me. I was ready to throw a Dominic Trioano reference out there but I'm stumped.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Who is "Brave Belt"?

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A winner!

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I saw BTO when their first album just came out -- at the Victory Burlesque with about two hundred other lucky patrons. BTO played a dance at Stephen Leacock high the night before.

Dominic Troiano grew up on Sammon Ave, a neighbour of guys I played basketball with.

Another guy around the corner appears (in a small photo on the wall) on the cover of Trooper's Knock'em Dead, Kid album. (Last time I saw him he was a homeless, punchy street guy.)

Last summer (summer before?) I went to the grungy Papaya Hut after the Y and Burton Cummings walked in. A juicer of another sort back in the day, now sober and organic (if you believe him).

Q: The SIN numbers of which two longtime musical collaborators are identical 'cept for the last digit?

YD&OHS, etc

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who are Kim Mitchell and Pye Dubois?

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Speaking of Kim Mitchell, Max Webster never gets enough love when Canadian bands are mentioned.

I put them in the top 5 of Canadian bands

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No doubt the Websters are fondly remembered by Canuckistan 70s rock fans. Me and my buddies wore out A Million Vacations the summer it was released.

I recently came across a bootleg of a Kim Mitchell show at the Oshawa Civic Auditorium from the Akimbo Alogo tour. It was recorded for a MuchMusic Big Ticket show with the voiceover provided by none other than Much's own J.D. Roberts, now all cleaned up as John Roberts on CNN.

Wonder what ever became of Peter Fredette.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

the shame is that Webster didn't translate too far beyond the toronto borders. In the 70s, TO was a webster (and rush) town, but go to a place like windsor and they'd barely heard of them

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Max Webster and Rush toured a lot together (I believe the Websters were on Anthem, Rush's label) which would have given them some exposure, but they never found the success bands like Triumph did.

They must have been big in Sarnia, no? Isn't that where Kim Mitchell was from?

I had a beer once with Gary McCracken at the Elephant & Castle at the Eaton Centre in Toronto.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

Nope. Try again.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted