1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music association

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 27, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A shout out to Just an SID on the word association thread, which is pretty cool, and the mention of Joel and Lana on there got me to thinking: What memories or images do you associate with certain songs? I'm not thinking so much stream of consciousness like the word thread, but just what memories are triggered by a song.

The obvious connection there is "Old Time Rock 'N Roll" evoking images of Risky Business with Tom Cruise in his skivvies with a mixing spoon.

Another: "We Just Disagree" (which I hate now just because it's intolerably sappy) takes me back to age 12, with me standing outside the front door of the girl I had a crush on. Never got the nerve up to knock ...

What about you guys?

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Billy Idol's "To Be a Lover" was on the radio coming back from my junior prom. I went with an ex-girlfriend because we made plans to go to prom while we were still dating. A photo of us at prom made it into the yearbook. She looks stoned out of her mind though she wasn't. We double dated with the kid that lived next door to me and we went in his mom's 1985 Monte Carlo. On the way home the ex and I made out like, well, teenagers in the back seat [two words: stinky pinky!]. Anytime I hear that Billy Idol song it makes me think of that night.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me with Science" always evoke memories of a spring break trip to Daytona because those two songs were topping the charts at the time and were heard over and over and over amidst the crashing waves and popping of beer cans.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

She's poetry in motion ... pshh! pshhh! pshhh!

5. Boognish

Boognish Member

Any and all Steely Dan = seventh grade, in my bedroom, reading The Shining. Fagan and Becker have never been the same, and I have no regrets.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

"Twist and Shout" = Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Always will.

"And Then He Kissed Me" always makes me think of Adventures in Babysitting.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

311's "Applied Science" makes me think of them in concert, doing their tribal drum solo.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

"Sister Christian" and Boogie Nights. Best film scene ever, for my money.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Whenever I hear Layla, I think of Goodfellas.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My Cherie Amore -- scene in Almost Famous where the girl OD's.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ooh, also from Almost Famous: "Tiny Dancer."

Draft saved Draft deleted