1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC: 21 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lone_Star_Speed, Oct 7, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

SLAYER's Reign in Blood was a life changing album for me. It took the fury of punk and crossed it with the speed of bands like Venom and Celtic Frost. But with great production value.
    There were two kids that were in the same shop class as me in high school that had this underground metal fanzine. They were always coming in with the craziest stuff I'd ever heard. One day they came in raving about this advance album they received. They had been listening to it all weekend and made a cassette copy so that they could continue listening to it when they weren't at home.
    Reign in Blood was love at first listen. It was short, fast, and sweet. It still is. There's rarely a day that goes by that I don't listen to RiB from start to finish. Often I listen to it several times a day. Twenty-one years have done nothing to diminish my love for this record. It still sounds as great today as it did 21 years ago. As a matter of fact...I think the production on this record beats many albums being released now. Rick Rubin produced one for the ages.
    Would the overall history of the world have changed without Reign in Blood? Probably not. The Berlin Wall would still come down. The ATF would still raid the Branch Davidians. Seinfeld would still be about nothing. Princess Diana would still die tragically. Jihad would still occur on 9.11.01. The space shuttle would still explode on reentry. American Idol would still be the #1 show on television. The Red Sox would still win the World Series.
    But it would have been much different living through it all without that perfect little 29 minute and 3 second blast of pure adrenaline. EXAMPLE: South Park would still be populated by hundreds of thousands of hippies. That alone is reason enough to praise a higher being for the creation of Reign in Blood.
    Ultimately it was an anonymous fan waiting in line for the doors to open at a Slayer concert that summed it up best. When asked by a writer from Spin magazine if the fan thought the latest Slayer record was better than Reign in Blood the fan responded "What is?"

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, I thought this was about Talking Heads' "True Stories."

Guess not.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I...I...I feel the same way about Dokken's Back For The Attack.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Never been a big fan. I'll take Pantera.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just what this thread needed ... an outlet for me to recall the songs Kiss of Death and Mr. Scary!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

She promised paradise...with the kiss of death!!!!

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hold on -- you've listen to that album all the way through almost every day for 21 years?

That's more than 7,000 times.

Why don't your marry it and have its babies?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

LSS will have to answer to the .00001 percent on sj who have heard of are fans of Venom and Celtic Frost.

Draft saved Draft deleted