1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You consider that edgy? How about taking a viewpoint with which his average reader, a 50-year-old white male with "GET OFF MY LAWN!" on his T-shirt, would disagree? Mushnick's writing is as safe as Albom's, just for a different audience.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Damn, just when I was going to reply, the post disappeared.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A gang that wants to get the crap beat out of it

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

These last five sentences should be forever featured under a spotlight in the Newseum.

Yeah, Jimmy can make me laugh on frequent occasions, but the King of the Metro Columnists remains the one and only Royko. That trophy's retired, and isn't coming back into circulation.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's OK. You and I know it.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And it's a new month; we need a new LOLZ

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have to see I know exactly where Joe is coming from. There were weekends I would buy the Post mainly for Mushnick.

He and I are of an age, and I think if yuou look back at some of the kinds of comments I have made in the past, you'd be able to tell I generally agree with his opinions.

Now I will go read the column.

8. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Agree with the picture 100%.

So by Mushnick's reasoning/logic, if someone adds an alternate red/jersey or hat, they endorsing the Bloods? ::)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If "the consumer" means middle-aged and old white guys, sure. I can think of about 30 New York sports journalists that I would put in a class well above Phil Mushnick, the guy who said the Nets should be renamed the Brooklyn N-----s.

Now, since Mushnick is on your "must-read" list, why not weigh in on this column?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When did he say this? Mushnick's issue with Jay-Z's lyrics are with the misogynistic and anti-homosexual message in them. If he's mentioned drug dealing as an issue, it would be tertiary to those objections.

Leaving out his two larger objections means you are either ignorant of his objections, or purposely meant to misrepresent them.

Oh, I'd pay to see this list. 30 guys? Go ahead, name them.

As for trotting out the Brooklyn N****s line, with no context, it again shows you are not willing or able to discuss Mushnicks columns intelligently.

Are you unfamiliar with his work, or are you just misrepresenting it?

11. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Mushnick sees colors and allows his fear of gangs to drive this rant. At its core, his issue is with rap music and urban culture, and how easily it spills into popular culture. The gang references are more about fear mongering than whatever point he's trying to suggest about gangsters being the only consumers.

The crowned Yankee cap came in a few colors, including black with gold stitching, and was intended to signify the popular 'King of New York' sentiment prevalent in hip-hop music. Unfortunately, Latin King colors are also black and gold (don't call it yellow!), but is it New Era's fault? The bandana-stitched caps came in multiple colors as well.

It wasn't the objective to be relevant with gangs, but to capitalize on fashion trends. (How dare they?!) The bandana caps came after people started wearing bandanas below their caps to 1) protect the interior of the hat from sweat, and 2) keep long hair and braids in order. It turned into a look around the city, but that doesn't mean every person wearing a bandana was a gang member.

The new leading cap trend is a $400+ snapback cap with a snakeskin brim by Don C available at the RSVP Gallery. New Era and Mitchell & Ness introduced their own mass-produced, budgeted design to tap that market.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm familiar with his recent work, in the past six or seven years. With that said, and in no order, New York (area) sports writers whom I would rather read stories by than Phil Mushnick:

Ben Shpigel
    Harvey Araton
    Howard Beck
    Tyler Kepner
    John Branch
    Bill Pennington
    Ken Belson
    Karen Crouse
    Richard Sandomir
    Sam Borden
    Ben Cohen
    Jason Gay
    Rachel Bachman
    Mike Vaccaro
    Joel Sherman
    Stefan Bondy
    Ralph Vacchiano
    Will Leitch
    Joe DeLessio
    Adam Rubin
    Ohm Youngmisuk
    Rich Cimini
    Bob Klapisch
    Tara Sullivan
    Mike Garafalo
    Dave D’Alessandro
    Jerry Izenberg
    Matthew Stanmyre

That avoids the New York-based national media members. It also avoids many of the biggest names, mostly because I don't care much for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted