1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Aug 26, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Get out of my trendy urban garden!

2. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

If it counts for anything, I thought Joe Lapointe was a pseudonym. But I'm just a (presumed) lone minority voice being overlooked in this discussion among older white gentlemen evaluating the logistics of racial prejudice. Don't mind me.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Always felt using a real name may have given posters license to be as haughty as they wished.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

AKA "The Whitlock Rule."

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Maybe overcompensation for his plebeian origins, which he of course used for false effect in his work.
    I must be acknowledged!
    Validate my existence, or I will fail to be!

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not that discussing the merits of anonymity isn't fascinating, but I have another point to make about Phil Mushnick: He doesn't make his points very well.

I went back and reread the column that led to this debate, and I couldn't help but notice how little attention he paid to the basic rules of argumentation. He relied heavily on readers knowing his long history of writing on these topics, which isn't realistic at all in the Internet age. He mixed examples without making any clear connections to them.

Why are the new LeBron James sneakers, which are not red and black (or, at least, are not limited to red and black) similar to gang-color New Era hats? Why are the Olympic uniforms even mentioned, aside from Mushnick's color-blindedness?

He writes for shock value. The Brooklyn N-----s column was more overt. Even YankeeFan can admit, though, that Mushnick is writing to get people talking about his writing. It's akin to Skip Bayless, who talks to get people to talk about his talking. Even their good points are undermined by the brashness and lack of credible, logical argumentation.

I guess that's the long way of saying, Phil Mushnick talks down to his audience. He allows for no disagreement or gray area. If you disagree with him, you're wrong. There's no room for nuance or deeper understanding or intellect.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A lot of salient points very respectfully made on this thread in reference to a specific column with specific problems. So I'm not sure I understand why anonymity is an impediment to a craft discussion. On the internet you are as you post.

Would Joe LaPointe or anyone else take my arguments more seriously if I worked at a big newspaper? If I wrote for a magazine? If I was collected in an anthology he taught from? (All of which biases authority. Or just bigfoots us.)

As it is for each of Mr. Mushnick's columns, our posts here stand or fall on their own merit.

Draft saved Draft deleted