1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Unflinching social critic? Or out-of-touch firestarter?

Gang colors and money.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's been ranting about it for 25 years now.

And I say this as someone who gets very tired of nearly every uniform having black in it, and who also hates "third" "fourth" "fifth" and "sixth" jerseys.
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I keep trying to form an intelligent thought on the matter. But I think Uncle.Ruckus got it right.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

His basic premise has merit. You all don't like it because it has the name Phil Mushnick on it, and, to a more insidious degree, because the writer is (gasp) more than 55 years old.

It's a fact that gangs gravitate toward specific Yankees merchandise. Is that disputed here?

And one other thing. Younger people can roll their eyes until they fall out of their heads when older people bring up that some things were better 20, 30, 50 years ago. That doesn't make it wrong.

But hey, posting a photo of Grandpa Simpson is edgy.
  6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's a pretty big fucking difference between red Yankee hats and Pro Combat jerseys. Which gang wears Oregon Ducks uniforms?
  7. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Forgive the “When I was a kid” stuff, but when I was a kid no one associated with a sport or sports encouraged kids and young adults to do anything illogical, anything stupid, anything dangerous and certainly nothing that would leave civil society at a loss.

8. jr/shotglass

I don't get why you would want to dispute the connection. Just so we can share a laugh at old Phil Musnick's expense?

Of course it's not a perfect correlation. But there's a correlation.
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes. Football players and New York City gang members are black listen to rap.
  10. jr/shotglass

I don't want to be an expert on New York City gang members. I'm thinking they're not all black listening to rap. But whatever.
  11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The Latin Kings generally aren't black, for the record.
  12. jr/shotglass

Yes, but they might listen to rap. ;)
Draft saved Draft deleted