1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick hits another home run

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, May 18, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I could probably live with Sterling but Waldman is effin horrible. All she is is one stupid anecdote after another-- "I talked to Jeter and he said.......

If her embarrassing Roger Clemens moment was not a wake up call to replace her then nothing will be.

The Yankees are one fucked up organization at this point. With The Boss out to pasture there is no clear leadership at the top.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kaat was great. So knowledgeable without any of the, "I'm so smart & funny" of someone like Tim McCarver.

Tony Kubek was great as well. He & Garagiola are my number two all time duo from my childhood as partners on the NBC game of the week.

His work on MSG was terrific as well. Strange how he walked away from a lifetime in baseball without ever looking back.

3. YankeeFan

That would be tough to watch.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Waldman lost all credibility with me when she cried after Joe Torre's last game with the Yankees.

Sterling, to me, sounds like he's tries to be one of those radio announcers from the 1940s and 50s in which he wants to be synonomous (sp?) with the team. But he doesn't pull it off very well.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Sterling's most significant negative is that he gets things wrong. No matter what you think of a broadcaster's voice or his dramatics, if he gets things wrong, he's bad.

Oh, do they moss Jim Kaat.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Would you have wanted your words, as you were typing them, going out to readers? I think your standard is unreasonable. As long as a broadcaster corrects the error before the half-inning ends, no problem. If he gets things wrong five or six times a game, he's average. If he gets things wrong a few times a game, he's very good.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Sterling is what you get if Ted Baxter had become a baseball broadcaster.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I think it depends on the kind of mistake, Frank.

If the mistake is screaming, "It is high ... it is far .... it is caught," that should happen a max once in a season. He tries to make the game fit his stupid schtick. And another thing: Half the time he does the "It is high, it is far'' crap, it's on some line drive shot that may or may not clear the wall. That the type of call you should only use for one of those majestic, Mark McGwiresque shots. Sterling is too freaking stupid to understand that.

9. YankeeFan

Sterling never corrects himself. He's more interested in doing his "signature calls" than describing the actual action on the field.

He calls the game as he sees it.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

precisely. there is no denying sterling has great pipes. his "signature calls" are obnoxious but they're his thing. fine.

but a radio play by play man's primary job is to paint an immediate picture of accurately portraying what is happening in the game. on this pretty significant point, sterling fails as miserably as anyone i've ever heard. on almost every significant play a do-over is required.

he can't see anymore, heightening the problem. his enormous ego gets in his way all the time, as does vanity at this juncture. i mean, the man's 71, for cryin' out loud. announcers don't improve at his age, they can only start slipping -- and john wasn't very good at his best.

i'm certainly not saying i could do better but i'm not a broadcaster. all i ask when i'm held hostage by the radio is for accuracy as it happens. sterling's failures in this regard hold no charm whatsoever.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

excellent. :D :D 8) 8) ;) ;)

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sterling is 71? Dang.

I still think of him first as part of the Braves broadcasting teams of my youth. Which makes me old too.

Draft saved Draft deleted