1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick hits another home run

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, May 18, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree on Singleton - dignified is the word. Nothing forced.

Kaat was the gold standard though.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

That's because Singleton isn't a former Yankee (Orioles fan ducking).

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Sterling just gives off a skeevy vibe on person, not helped by his repeated hitting on a very young reporter here.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yankee games are a no-go on my XM because of Sterling. He's fucking horrid.

Thank God the Brewers aren't in the AL, so I don't have to subject myself to them, unlike my two-or-three times a year suffering through Milo Hamilton when the Brewers go to Houston.

With some exceptions, it seems like the further west you go, the better the announcers are. Nearly all of the west coast teams have good announcers.

Also, I think the NL announcers are stronger across the board than the AL guys. Some of the AL announcers (Yankees, Tigers, Twins, Red Sox, a few others) just flat-out suck.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Beyond her suckage as a broadcaster, every time Suzyn talks about her love of the Yankees, one should consider this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Same here. Can't take the Yankees or White Sox broadcasts.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is my point. I wouldn't call anyone on here a fan. We are industry folk. If Sterling dind't work, he wouldn't be there.

I find those people who agree with Mushnick and bow at the alter of Scully a bunch of snobs. That's what you sound like.

So, I like my Thirlla from Godzilla, Jeterian and Johnny Rockets, and you go eat your Johnny Cakes.

Ha.

8. He also can't use "ironically" correctly for the life of him.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Except a bunch of Yankee fans chimed in here and said they can't stand Sterling. If agreeing with Mushnick here is a sign of snobbery, there's millions of snobby Yankee fans.

Gotta disagree on everyone except O'Neill. I so loathed him as a player that I don't want to listen to him now. Plus, he always struck me as one of those guys who could barely conceal his contempt of us, and now he's on the media side of things. That perception may be wrong, since I've never liked the guy.

But I think Flaherty is fine and I could listen to Cone and Leiter all day long. Those guys still have a passion for the game and are pitching sponges who can explain anything in layman's terms without going Boomer Esiason on the audience. Plus, Cone occassionally references how batshit crazy he was as a player.

The game just flies by with Cone and/or Leiter in the booth.

Gary Cohen is as good on TV as he was on the radio, but I almost never hear him b/c I refuse to watch the Mets (except when spnited lets me know a meltdown is in effect :D :D :D).

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sterling sucked 25 years ago on TBS -- it's not like he's lost something.

Mushnick is a media critic. That's what he does. If the other industry has been reduced to something where "Y-es!" and a caw-cawing "Yankees win!" is considered edgy and signature, then it deserves to be ripped with extreme prejudice, every time.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Who says he works? It's not like there are alternate Yankees broadcasts to choose from. If you want to hear the game on radio, Sterling-Waldman is the only store that's open.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As a teenager I had no problem listening to Rizzuto although he drove my grandfather nuts. Now, I doubt I could listen to him for five minutes without throwing the radio out the window.

How bad are Sterling/Waldman/Kay? They make me look back fondly on the days of Hank Greenwald, Joe Angel, Tommy Hutton and Hawk Harrelson.

Draft saved Draft deleted