1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick hits another home run

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, May 18, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, i thought that was clear. ;)

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

THHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YANKEES ANNOUNCERS SUCK!

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wayne Hagan on Mets radio is pretty horrible as well.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just plug in Mamma Corleone for Steinbrenner . . . and Fredo for Sterling, and you'll understand the situation perfectly.

The SECOND George goes . . .

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is true. More good ones on the radio than on TV, but very few overall. Scully, Uecker, Niehaus, Brennaman the Elder are always listenable (even if they do repeat their stories.) Any others, now that Kalas and Caray are gone and Van Wieren is retired? I like Steve Stone when I hear him, but can't think of too many more who stand out -- in a good way, I mean.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Dan Oregon:

Joe Angel in Baltimore is very good.

Dave Niehaus in Seattle is very good.

In fact, I prefer BOTH of them to Vin Scully IN 2009. I grant you that Scully was stupendous in the past but he has gone round the bend in recent years for my tastes.

Bob Uecker is still good but seems to be on a similar downhill arc as is Scully.

I miss Harry Kalas more and more every day...

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is a case where the pros are wrong. Is Sterling awful? Yes. But Yankee fans like him and he is popular. If he wasn't , he would be gone.

We cover freakin announcers like a gamer.

If you are not a Yankees fan, why do you care if Sterling stinks or not? Honest to god, it's like this announcing business is a sport in itself. If he was hurting their bottom line, than the Yanks would get him out.

Now, Waldman is the worst announcer ever. Sterling is fun.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know I'm spoiled, being in Reds country. Marty Brennaman is still great, Jeff Brantley is a rising star, IMO (hopefully never to the point of rising out of Cincy) and I don't have many problems with Thom. When he's working with his dad, it's very cool.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i disagree strongly. i know many yankee fans, not a one who likes sterling or isn't frustrated by him and waldman. fans that listen on the radio are largely held hostage; with every game on tv, you only listen in the car or if you're outside at a barbeque or picnic, etc.

the yanks win and win, sterling has steinbrenner's blessing for life, apparently, and that's all there is to it. he is indeed fredo, secure until the boss dies.

believe you me, yankee fans "liking" sterling is far from the truth. he's pretty much a laughingstock -- phil rizzuto minus the charm and likeability. and since the scooter only did tv in his later years, who cared if he wasn't a polished broadcaster?

a radio play-by-play man shouldn't paint inreliable pictures. and that's all this pompous windbag does more and more.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- I'm a Yankee fan, and he's painful. Waldman is at least trying, it's not her fault she was created a crappy announcer.

- Hagen does suck. As a Yankee fan in NY, I've spent my whole life jealous of the Mets broadcasters. Finally one they can keep.

- I enjoyed the post that mistyped it as Stirling, reminding me of Scotty - Isaiah when Isaiah was wearing short shorts- and I was stunned at the level of incompetance that NY sports fans have been forced to endure through the ages.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly Shockey. I am one of the many Yankee fans that despises Sterling / Waldman. Waldman brings out the worst in Sterling. When he was paired with Kay and then Steiner it was tolerable because you did not have to listen to him the whole game..

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

She's bad, but not worse than Steiner when he was here.

Draft saved Draft deleted