1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mushnick hits another home run

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, May 18, 2009.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If you get a chance to read Mr. Mushnick's column on John Sterling in today's NY Post, please do. It is outstanding and, if for some strange reason, you happen to think Sterling does a good job, sorry. I don't.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is high, it is far, it is ...... Spectacular.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05182009/sports/yankees/baseball_fans_deserve_better_than_sterli_169830.htm?page=2

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It is amazing that the most famous franchise in the country's biggest market has Sterling and Waldman as its radio team.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. amazing is the word.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Amazingly awful, that is

6. Auntie Phil buried the lede.
    That story about the kid getting stomped is horrifying.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am convinced that the high HR totals in New Yankee Stadium are being caused by the hot air emanating from the Yankee Radio broadcast booth.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's the top of the column, I think spnited's link starts on page 2.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05182009/sports/yankees/baseball_fans_deserve_better_than_sterli_169830.htm

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks, 21.

The kid getting stomped is an old story he was just updating what the stomper was doing now.

Of course, Sterling sucking is an old story, too. But he's ony getting worse

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sterling is a travesty, much more interested in perpetuating his awful schtick than calling a clean game. I listened to a game this spring for about two minutes ... until he uttered the phrase "Tex message" for a home run. I refuse to listen to Yankees games on radio.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thing is - there aren't a lot of great announcers out there. Without cable television, I don't think 90 percent of the mediocrities doing radio for a MLB team have a job.
    Twenty years of Stirling? Jheezsh.
    Is there anyone (aside from Scully - and maybe John Miller) that can tell a story between pitches any more - or is all the dead time devoted to shilling for an advertiser now?

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't blame the announcers for that. That's the club jamming in as many sponsor messages and promos as possible.

And BTW, Scully's stories repeat more often than "I Love Lucy." He gets a fun fact about most opposing players (and usually just one) and uses it every time the guy comes up.

Draft saved Draft deleted