1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muscle Milk question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Back to the original question, most high schools and state associations don't drug test, do they?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

New Jersey and Florida on a very small scale--1,100 students at a cost of $200K. Texas announced plans for something massive this year. Between 40,000 and 50,000 student-athletes at a cost of $6 million. Those are it. Any other testing is limited to localities.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Where do they get the money for it?

4. The Big Ragu

The states. They were all laws passed by the state legislatures. FYI, a friend looking over my shoulder just told me that Florida is dropping its testing program this year. The state legislature didn't renew it for budgetary reasons. So now it is New Jersey with a small program and Texas initiating a pretty substantial one.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I believe Illinois also has a testing program.

6. The Big Ragu

You are correct, Sir! I didn't know this one. Sorry. Illinois is implementing a program this year. The three states this year that will have programs this school year are Texas, Illinois & New Jersey.

My friend knows a lot about Florida's program. It was limited to the major sports, not every sport. And they caught only one kid last year. It's hard to know what to conclude. They tested so few kids that it might not have been a good enough sample size. Or maybe use just isn't prevalent.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I just did a big Sunday enterprise package on steroid use in high school and college athletics, on the heels of a big steroid bust in the area.

I talked to someone at Drug Free Sport and asked about Muscle Milk and he said basically what someone said earlier. Muscle Milk can produce a banned substance which could trigger a positive test. Muscle Milk is not banned, but is advised by Drug Free Sport to consume with caution.

I think if you go to Drug Free Sport's website, they have a list of banned substances in the NCAA. Since that company also does steroid testing for high school associations in Texas, Illinois and New Jersey, many of the NCAA's banned substances are on the high school association's list.

But here's an interesting nugget I recovered while doing the research for the story. Florida and Texas tested for steroids last year, but did NOT test for recreational drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, crack, meth, etc. As someone I talked to said "What do you think kids are doing more of these days, marijuana or steroids?"

A lot of people in Texas considered this past year's testing a big waste of tax-payer's money. And that was only 10,000 or so athletes tested. This next season, they're going to test 40-50,000.

8. The Big Ragu

Stagger, What is amazing about Texas' program is that N.J. and Florida, when they were testing, each tested a couple of hundred kids, not tens of thousands. What Texas has already was much bigger.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

There's no doubt Texas did a much more extensive testing program than Florida or N.J.

Texas tests year-round, while Florida and New Jersey only tested prior to the state championships.

Now, the only knock on Texas testing last year was that it began in January/February, after football season. I'll be anxious to see how many more positive tests they have this year, especially since they'll be testing in the heart of football season.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

More amazing about the Texas Program is that they consulted with Victor Conte to set it up.

11. Earlier this summer they released the results of the Texas steroid testing program. Of roughly 10,000 athletes tested last school year, two came up positive. Program cost several million dollars, so who knows if they'll keep doing it. Supporters of the program say only two were caught because of the program, while others are wondering why millions in taxpayer dollars were spent to catch two high school users.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OF course, it wasn't like the testing was random, if I recall...

Draft saved Draft deleted