1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muscle Milk question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 21, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Completely stumped on this one.

Muscle Milk is a high-protein drink, I've used it, recommended it, lots of athletes use it, moms buy it for their kids. You can buy it in the grocery store, or just about anywhere that sells legit nutritional supplements.

Today I was told by an NFL trainer that Muscle Milk was considered a banned substance by the NCAA and high schools. I spent the rest of the day searching for a good answer to whether this was fact or myth, and can't find any consistent data.

I know a lot of you deal with high school athletics, I'm wondering if anyone has any definitive info on this. Thanks.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://www.drugfreesport.com/insight.asp?VolID=39&TopicID=7

Another product popular with athletes right now is Muscle Milk, which is often sought by athletes trying to add more protein to their diets. Some formulations of Muscle Milk products contain colostrum, which is a rich source of insulin-like growth-factor 1 (IGF-1), which is banned by the NCAA and many other organizations.

“We don’t know whether these products containing colostrum do indeed provide any IGF-1 and whether it would be detectable in a drug test,” Uryasz said. “We would advise athletes not to take supplement products containing colos­trum or products purporting to contain IGF-1, and we would remind NCAA institutions that these products are impermissible to distribute.”

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

BTW, I have two cases of Muscle Milk in my pantry. Hopefully they won't test the 47th place finisher in the Cat 4 field at my next bike race.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Colostrum....breast milk??

What the hell is wrong with these people.

So I'm looking at a MM package (with my new glasses because no matter how great you might still look at 40 your eyesight will still betray you), and I have no idea what the offending ingredient might be. Also wondering if there's ever been an instance of a high school athlete getting tossed for using this stuff.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Juicer!

6. joe

joe Active Member

I use the whey protein mix from GNC. I assume that doesn't contain a banned substance, but that's just a guess.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/evan9.htm

Bovine Colostrum also assists in regeneration and can improve normal growth of aged or injured muscle, bone, cartilage, skin collagen and nerve tissue. This proves especially essential for the over 40 baby-boomer bodybuilder.

* appears to be a very slanted website

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have no clue about Muscle Milk, but I had a weird experience with a protein supplement last year. I added some GNC super-protein mix to my diet and my hair started to fall out. I stopped after a month and my hair started to grow back. Decided to stick with a simple whey protein mix from then on.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Maybe it was radioactive, Karen Silkwood.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I rely entirely on the milk of human kindness.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There's a lactose intolerant joke to be made here, but damn if I can see it clearly.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From the Cytosport website:

Draft saved Draft deleted