1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muschamp to take over as coach at Texas when Brown retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by derwood, Nov 18, 2008.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here's my question: Does Muschamp have the same sort of deal that Jimbo Fisher has with FSU? If Jimbo's not the Seminoles' coach by a certain date -- and it's within four or five years rather than eight -- he gets $2 million or something.
    Seems to me you'd have to give Muschamp that sort of protection. What's to stop him from getting understandably impatient in four or five years and taking another gig? I also wonder why you feel compelled to do this if you're Texas. So what if the guy leaves? In eight years, he can come back. After all, the list of Jobs Better Than Texas is pretty short.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, like headed to Aubie when Tubby gets broomed.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If they didn't want to pay him market rate when he was already on staff, what is his incentive to go back and put up with the petty bullshit there that he already knows plenty about?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Four-to-six times his salary as coordinator?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Do you really think Auburn would pay four to six times his salary?

What does he make now? About 900,000 or so, right?

You really think Auburn would come up with $3.6 million for a first-time head coach?

And frankly, given the meat grinder that the SEC has become, I am not sure Auburn head coach is a better job than Texas defensive coordinator/assistant head coach -- particularly when he is already making basically a million a year at Texas.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Boy, I hope Tubby doesn't get "broomed"
    He's done so much for that program and deserves better than a broom after a sub-par season.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Especially since he is out of coordinators to scape goat for the struggles he is having......

9. dixiehack

But there is already a personality conflict with the Jays. And if they'll dick you over on the little things, they'll dick you over on the big ones.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Zag, you know full well the head coach ultimately shoulders the blame for any program shortcomings.
    If he's to be broomed, he'll be broomed.
    It's just unfortunate how political college athletics is and how short alums and fans' memory spans are.

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

So how excited about Muschamp would they be if his defense was ranked higher than 58th in D-1?

12. dixiehack

To wit ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted