1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musburger: Steroids misunderstood by media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 7, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He did me too. Yet some things he said makes sense, where no one seems to dig beyond the buzzwords. It's like: "Here's an issue. Here's what a liberal has to say. Here's what a conservative has to say. I'm Molly Milquetoast, Podunk News Network."

At the same time, though, is Musburger practicing what he preaches? Has he talked to the experts in the field to arrive at his opinion? Who are they? What did they have to say? Or is he just going the other way on this topic because everyone else is going one way, just to draw attention to himself? Or are we just supposed to believe him because he's ... Brent Musburger [/dennycrain].

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My understanding is that is the problem -- we don't know yet. We should know, through proper testing, before allowing anybody to use the stuff.

3. outofplace

The problem is that there really isn't much evidence to support the theory. We have a better idea what concussions can do to a human brain than steroids or other performance enhancers.

The culture around football is finally changing regarding concussions. The message is finally getting through. Most importantly, it is filtering down to the high school level and lower. Everybody should be behind the concussion issue.

Regarding steroids, we may not know what they do to the human brain yet, but we know they are dangerous to those who use them. The only issue is how dangerous.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that players have received legal prescriptions for steroids - no different than a dock worker who has blown out his back. "Recovery purposes" is a legitimate use.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I just know that several of the guys who've had well-publicized meltdowns, for lack of a better term, had major steroid issues.
    Tons of football players have walked away from the game without melting down in this fashion.
    Some of the guys who melted down were linemen who weren't feeling the sort of full-force blows regularly that a back, WR or QB might take. I just think somebody needs to take that question seriously, and I don't think it's being done because the concussion issue has become a hot-button topic.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So all this stuff about shrinking testicles, receding hairline, monster torso acne etc. ... linking those things to steroids, the media just made all that up? I personally can't cite the studies, but there was some research in there somehwere.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The argument is that those are old-fashioned anabolic steroids. Nobody takes those anymore. What gets called "steroids" today are designer PED drugs that haven't had much testing.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

God, you're a prick. I guess I'm the only reporter in history who was told something off the record by a player who trusted me not to write it. This was a player I had covered for four years, since he was a rookie.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, every drug that is brought to market has potentially bad side effects at some dosage level along a continuum, so companies conduct tests to to determine which level optimizes the positive effects relative to the negative side effects. These are known as therapeutic index levels. Problems apparently set in with steroids when they're used at pretty massive levels and most doctors will tell you that under correct dosage and supervision, they can be used safely by adults.

The problem is that people keep taking everything WADA (an organization with a financial interest in creating hysteria around these substances) at face value. It also provides fodder for more sensational reporting, which is why reporters run to guys like Dick Pound, and his replacement (whose name escapes me), and Gary Wadler for quotes every time there's some new development.

These guys are not unbiased experts on the topic.

10. outofplace

Linemen get concussions, too. They may not take the big hits that often, but they do hit or get hit on pretty much every play. There has been some concern that the constant blows, even ones that don't seem that damaging, could be causing brain issues as well.

The problem with taking the steroid issue is that they are already against the rules. We already know that they are dangerous. We already know of a fairly long list of negative side effects and athletes keep taking them anyway. Do you really think one more danger is going to change that?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But I believe the acne goes away and the testicles return to size after the player goes off roids, correct? If steroids are illegal because of back acne, that's a dumb reason. The question is what sort of permanent or lasting problems/dangers PEDs cause. From what I've read, the science on that question is decidedly mixed and unproven.

12. outofplace

It depends on which PED the person is taking. Some steroids can also cause liver damage, cardiovascular problems, stunted growth in young people due to the inhibition of natural hormones and mental issues among other side effects. There is some debate about how high the risks are, but they do exist.

Draft saved Draft deleted