1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MU's Gabbert Goes Pro/Year of the QB-- NFL Draft Thread 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: MU's Gabbert Goes Pro/Declaring for the NFL Draft Thread 11

Luck is the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning and the most polished since Elway. Luck probably reminds me more of Steve Young than Elway.

Elway is widely considered to be the best QB prospect ever to come out of college.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Not Akili Smith?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So wrong on Marino. So wrong.

If Dan was such a statue, why was he sacked 270 times in 4967 pass attempts?

In 4,123 career pass attempts, Elway was sacked... wait for it...

516 times

Mobility my ass. Marino got rid of the ball. He didn't have to run.

Every scout, GM and coach are to embarrassed to say they were scared away by a drug rumor and could have drafted the maybe greatest QB of the last 5000 years.

To think what the Steelers could have been with Marino at QB with that defense. They might be at 10 Super Bowls right now. Gabe Rivera. Are you kidding me?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Marino had one of the best offensive lines and the quickest release of any QB in recent memory.

And Marino couldn't carry Elway's jock. :D

5. 93Devil

They are both great, no doubt, but give me Marino if I am starting a team from scratch.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The NFL is all about its prototypes. Gabbert is 6-5, about 235, with good mobility and unquestioned arm-strength. He was a hell of a lot better player than Josh Freeman ever was... and you saw what he did in Tampa this year.

That's to to say that Gabbert will enjoy similar success. But by-and-large, the NFL looks at measuribles when it comes to quarterbacks.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No way. Elway could make plays with his feet. If I'm starting a team from scratch, you know the line's gonna be subpar for a couple years so the QB better be able to scramble.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I vote for Rick Mirer

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

They said the same things about: Jim Druckenmiller, Dan McGwire, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich. Big, tall, guys with big arms. Yet Drew Brees and even JEFF GARCIA have had better careers.

In addition to Gabbert, I think Ryan Mallet's got the same "big" premium on him but I've seen Mallet make some absolutely awful throws, killers, and some locked on vision. If the Niners take Mallet, ugh.

The nice thing about Luck is he goes through his reads while also being smooth in the pocket and having accuracy and touch. I don't think he's got the cannon but he gets the job done. He's more Montana (pure reads with great touch) than Young (one of the prettiest balls, tight, accurate spirals combined with toughness and great wheels. Too bad played in Aikman era when Neon Deion and decided to jump ship and Haley blew out of town otherwise Young probably wins 2 more rings).

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Trying like hell to remember where Marino went to college . . . maybe you can provide some help here, as such a big fan of his?

11. 93Devil

Maybe you can tell show me where he was an unpolished QB coming out of college?

Get past your hatred of the poster.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

All the guys you mention flopped, to be sure. But they also got their contracts.

I have no earthly idea how Gabbert's career will pan out. But he's cashing in when his stock is at its highest. Can't blame him for that. That's also why Luck would be beyond foolish to stay at Stanford another year.

Draft saved Draft deleted