1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murtha or Hoyer as majority leader

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wonder what the black community would think of that post. Also, it's kind of a dick move to quote yourself in your sig.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So the black community is the be-all, end-all decider that killing innocents is OK? I would think they'd be upset with you that you think that of them.

The thing about abortion is it's an equal opportunity killer. More innocent blacks have been killed by abortion than by slavery. I would hope they would be upset by that.

And if my sig really bothers you that much, you apparently must not have anything else in the world to worry about. In case you missed it, it's called a signature. As in my own signature. Not someone else's. It's called a signature. Not a "quote." Not a "thought for the day." Not a "little saying to make the left feel good." Truth is, you just don't like what it says, not that I attributed it to myself.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sure thing, tony. Keep on truckin'.

4. old_tony

I also notice that you have to cut off part of my post to try to make your point. Certainly the sign of a weak argument.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Okay, I'll bite. Show me a statistic that proves more people have died because of abortion than slavery.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Are you fucking kidding me? Abortion is worse than slavery?

Slavery imprisoned innocent people, beat them, tortured them, forced them to work without pay, and then killed many of them, if not through out-and-out murder then through years of back-breaking labor. It took a war -- a fucking war -- to end slavery in this country and that didn't even do it. Then we had indentured servitude which was nearly the same fucking thing. Now we're fighting a war we don't even belong in to force our ways on another country that may or may not be able to work with our ways. So don't tell me that abortion is fucking worse than slavery.

At least with abortion, a choice is given. Women have the choice. Slaves didn't even have any choices. You tell the female slaves who were raped that the choice of aborting their master's child is worse than slavery. You tell the women who have bastard children because they were raped that abortion is worse than slavery. You tell ANY woman that they can't have a choice to end a pregnancy because of a personal or medical choice. Tell the women who have died because they couldn't have an abortion that it's worse than slavery. Would you prefer if we went back to before women have the right to fucking vote?

You seem to think you have the right to tell women what to do, so why not put them back in the kitchen and take away their right to vote. It's all about degrees isn't it?

You know, I probably would never have an abortion, but having the choice if someone raped me or I needed it per medical conditions is important to me.

7. old_tony

From the 1860 census:
    Total number of slaves in the Lower South : 2,312,352 (47% of total population).
    Total number of slaves in the Upper South: 1,208758 (29% of total population).
    Total number of slaves in the Border States: 432,586 (13% of total population).
    Now if you're mathematically challenged, that total is just under 4 million. Now since there were only 4 million slaves in 1860, I tend to doubt that 40 million of them were killed over the less-than-100 years of slavery from our country's inception in 1776.

Planned Parenthood's numbers (Alan Guttmacher Institute) show approximately 40 million abortions have been performed in the US since Roe v. Wade in 1973. I'm guessing the only way you can extend this argument is if you insist abortions aren't fatal to the baby. Have at it. Or concede the point (Why don't I think you'll take that route?).

8. old_tony

They're both appalling. Only one is certainly fatal, meaning it takes away the first and foremost basic right -- that being life.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So you're only counting slaves in 1860?

Also, if you were to add 40 million to the current U.S. population, imagine how much of a drain that would be on the economy.

But yeah, abortion is SO much worse than slavery ::)

EDIT: I just read your glib response to spup. So I think we're both done with you on this thread. Have a nice day.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I think Doc and old tony need a time out...

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think old_tony needs to quit trying to shove his beliefs on the women of America.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Much better than old tony trying to shove other things on the women of America...

Draft saved Draft deleted