1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murray-- Still Searching for George

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 25, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I care more about what someone like Joel Sherman or Bill Madden or George King has to say about Steinbrenner than what Phil Mushnick has to say. Mushnick was never on the Yankees beat. I'm very interested in what Murray Chass has to say because he was there when Steinbrenner bought the team, was in the thick of it during the late 70s Bronx Zoo days and probably saw as much of Steinbrenner trying to manipulate reporters as anyone. The problem with Chass, though, is that he often comes off as so bitter and crotchety on his blog that someone could chalk up his latest entry to Chass being Chass. The one thing I kept in mind, though, is that there are so many other people who crossed paths with Steinbrenner who had the same view (mean spirited, manipulative, a terror). I think the fact that you are reading so many personal anecdotes from writers, with varying degrees of fondness in their tone, attests to the fact that Steinbrenner was a complicated man, certainly larger than life, and had a great deal of asshole in him to go along with some kindnesses a lot of the written tributes are recalling. The kindness anecdotes contrast to the impetuous dictator everyone already knew, so it's easy to understand why you are seeing a lot of those types of stories. For what it's worth, I thought Lisa Olson did a good job of capturing some of the good and bad in Steinbrenner on AOL yesterday, with a few anecdotes from others and her own experiences. http://lisa-olson.fanhouse.com/2010/07/14/george-steinbrenner-the-best-of-beats-the-worst-of-beats/#cntnt

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems like many are placing too much on the first 20 years of ownership and not enough on the last 16 where he became likable George.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A true history of George includes the good & the bad.

To tell only one side of the story -- regardless of which side -- is to tell an incomplete story.

George was both good and bad.

I think he'd probably even admit to that.

Hell, it's the reason his kids resisted working for the Yankees.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Very good article by Lisa Olson. Thanks.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They had their greatest run of success when George faded into the woodwork and stopped making irrational changes and ridiculous "Win one for the Gipper" speeches.

He was a fucking tyrant who made the lives of good and honorable employees miserable strictly for his own ego gratification.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought the Sherman piece was outstanding, especially compared to some of the more sycophantic coverage spread elsewhere within the section.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Would their late 90s dynasty even have happened if not for his early 90s ban?

George's pre-ban MO had been to trade promising young prospects for overpaid aging big name vets. Is there any doubt that the 80s George would've been willing to deal unproven prospects like Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada in search of a Jose Canseco quick fix?

I suspect the only reason that group stayed together is that they joined the organization and came up during the period when the Boss was banned.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It would have been really good minus about 100 words: The last graph and the line reading "No one else who was there that day continues to write about baseball actively." Fine. We get it. You've been around forever and have more institutional knowledge than anyone else. Everyone else sucks. We get it.

And that last graph is really offensive. If anything, Steinbrenner's death should confirm WHY he didn't get that interview. He was a very sick man who was a shell of his former self. Who the hell is Murray Chass to be offended he didn't get one last interview with the man?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - It was offensive from the first column Murray wrote in The Times about trying to get this interview. He treated it like it was some sort of cover up that affected our national security. Too bad Murray did not cover the FDR Presidency.

Murray started this quest back on opening day 2006 :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/12/sports/baseball/12chass.html?scp=18&sq=George+Steinbrenner&st=nyt

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You suspect correctly -- though those who wear pinstriped glasses will never get it.

One of the best things about Madden's book is the literally-endless chapter-and-verse renditions of George lying through
    his teeth, putting employees' names on actions so that he could second-guess them if the moves went wrong, et al.

Jesus, what a creep.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good stuff, as per usual.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Chass and Steinbrenner (baseball Steinbrenner, not generous soft-touch charity Steinbrenner) deserved each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted