1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murray Chass on Piazza's backne

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Van Lingle Mungo, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In Murray's next column he tells us about Piazza's shriveled gonads. Who knew, who knew, after all these years that Murray was really the crazy uncle of the NY Times Sports Dept.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

If a guy playing in the steroid era has acne on his back, one of the main symptons of steroid use, call me crazy, but I'm gonna assume the guy is using steroids. Especially if he has outrageous numbers, which Piazza does.

Is that wrong? Don't care. A star falls every six months these days. Palmiero, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Pudge, Clemens, A-Rod. We have no choice but to assume EVERYONE with huge numbers during this era was on some form of PEDs. The only person I can think of who hasn't been linked is Luis Gonzalez, and my guess is he will be outed soon enough. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Maddux was dirty.

By the way, Piazza has gotten a free pass, for the most part, because he was nice to the media.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Read what was written in 1998. It's an embarrassment with very few exceptions.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

See "The Summer Of '98", for a classic example.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, exactly... Or read the Sportsmen of the Year piece on McGwire and Sosa that year. It's pretty painful.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The only '98 clips I have handy are mine, and I'm reasonably happy with them.

7. Boom_70

"The summer when homers flew, records fell, and baseball reclaimed America"

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Technically, that's pretty accurate.

9. Boom_70

Yeah turns out that it was fools gold though. Much like hedge funds are now.

Draft saved Draft deleted