1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murray Chass' grudge against the NYTimes knows no limits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I just made your head explode.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Remember, kids: You don't get to 41,000+ posts by making sense.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a look at BYH's posting history will tell you that.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Ay yi yi

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I remember the story correctly. ... isn't it get out of his seat, Selena Roberts?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, Murray's old and cranky. How about that? I'm just happy he's still energetic and working more than five years after a major heart attack and subsequent brain surgery.

And I can't begin to tell you how tired I am of 28-year-old, stat-head bloggers falling over themselves to criticize a 71-year-old baseball writer who hasn't embraced statistics like VORP and WAR.

If you want to judge Murray by his work the past five years, knock yourself out. I'm sure it's great fodder for yet another snarky Web post. But be aware that people familiar with Murray's work from the previous 40 years are laughing at your ignorance.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Abridged version of Murray's past 40 years work:

Players union good , MLB team owners bad.
    Marvin Miller good, Bud Selig bad.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We hold these truths to be self evident [/cranberry]

Seriously, Murray Chass had a long, distinguished, workmanlike and Baseball Hall of Fame worthy newspaper writing career. He has earned a lot of good will.

But it doesn't give him a pass for life, if he wants to continue to put his personal ideas out there on a blog. He writes the blog. I am sure he is ready to stand behind what he puts on it. And that blog entry was a bit ridiculous, as have been several others. It doesn't change a 40-year newspaper career, but it doesn't get wiped away because of his past.

If Chass had a legacy of any sort, he has certainly been doing it harm with that blog. He's become the grumpy anti-blogging blogger, for one thing. They are all bad. ... except for HIS blog, apparently.

And he has had some regretable entries on that blog, including an entry about Mike Piazza's back acne and kudos to Joel Sherman for writing about it, followed later on by a grumpy personal vendetta against Selena Roberts for not having the right kind of proof or sources about A-Rod in her book.

That blog has exposed a lot of personal stuff that must have been percolating beneath the surface. For Chass' sake, I hope not too many people other than us ever give it a look, because he isn't doing himself too many favors with entries like those.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you get forced out/bought out/laid off/fired from a paper, I think you've earned the right to hold a grudge against it until death.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, Boom, knowing right from wrong certainly helped Murray win a Spink Award. If you go back and look at his work from the '70s and '80s you'd think he was a prophet compared with any among the long list of writers who bought everything Bowie Kuhn or Peter Ueberroth or Bud Selig told them.
    I cringe at a lot of Murray's recent work, too, but I have the common sense to put it in perspective. He's an old man who hasn't been the same (although he was probably born cranky) since he returned to work following his health issues.

As undignified as it might be to grow old publicly I see far less dignity in his blog critics. I hope I never drool on my shirt.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

God bless you, Mizzou. Hell, I hold grudges against places that lay off or force out my pals in this business. Especially those who didn't have it coming. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted