1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murray Chass' grudge against the NYTimes knows no limits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You can make the case that Murray was unfairly pushed out the door and deserved better. You can make the case that the Times isn't what it used to be.

But when you start picking nits like this, you're just the crazy uncle who sits on the porch and randomly yells at passing cars.

From His blog:

<i>"In a recent column about the plan of The New York Times to make its venerable Sports of the Times column obsolete, I noted that the Times planned to have its beat reporters write columns instead. That’s great for the reporters, but the practice is undermining some of the most inviolable tenets of journalism.

An “One Baseball” column last week by Tyler Kepner, the Times’ Yankees beat writer, confirmed the newspaper’s new journalism. In a previous analysis, Kepner had used the unusable (for reporters) word “I.” In his more recent column he confirmed that the Times was no longer playing by its long valued standards.

Kepner seemed to go out of his way to use “I” to show that he could. In his first sentence, he wrote parenthetically, “I wish I remembered who.” The sentence added nothing to the column; the column would not have suffered without it.

At least two editors read that sentence and left it in the column, demonstrating the freedom Times reporters now have in the decline and fall of a once great newspaper.</i>

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get off his lawn.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am speechless.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, that should be <b>this poster</b> is speechless.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A hypothetical: If Murray Chass' grandson had sex with a female teacher, who would post it first, Smasher or Poin?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or " a reporter close to the situation was left speechless."

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Since you're not a reporter Boom, maybe it should be "someone with knowledge of the situation was speechless."
    Or "someone familiar with Chass' thinking was speechless."

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

"These old eyes are speechless."

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How does Murray account for the incessant use of 'I' in his blog rants?

Just pulled this one randomly. I have no idea what he's actually talking about. Here's the first two grafs:

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=967

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Thanks, 21. I just rubbed Cayenne pepper in my eyes.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I was going to post the whole thing.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I guess he figures he's no longer bound by "the inviolable tenets of journalism."

Draft saved Draft deleted